about to bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soflavino

Reaction score
So im about to bottle my product and was wondering if camden tablets were enough to perserve my wine? Any help im new...

We will need a little more information before anyone can give you sound advice.

How much wine are we talking about?
What is the variety?
What was the initial and current SG?
Have you added k-meta already and, if so, how long ago?

Normally, the dosage for wine is 1 campden tablet per gallon of wine. But if you already have added k-meta, that amount would over sulfite the wine.

You need to tell us a lot more about the wine before we can provide a good answer.

What kind of wine?
What was the starting SG and ending SG?
Have you added sugar to sweeten it?
How long has it been aging?
Is it clear?
Did you use any fining agents?
What is the pH and TA?

Ok its a mango papaya and banana wine, sg is .99, i added super kleer but havent racked yet
. Been two weeks and aging has been two months, its clear dont know the ph or ta and i only added camden at the beginning 24 hrs before mixing the yeast and after secondary i came out with a little more than 4.5 us gallons.

Ok its a mango papaya and banana wine, sg is .99, i added super kleer but havent racked yet
. Been two weeks and aging has been two months, its clear dont know the ph or ta and i only added camden at the beginning 24 hrs before mixing the yeast and after secondary i came out with a little more than 4.5 us gallons.

Will camden by itself perserve the wine by itself? Or do i need potasium sorbate or kmeta, i really dont know how to perserve the wine because my first batch it was gone first day

Soflavino, Campden is K-meta. Potassium sorbate is used to prevent re-fermentation. Sitting at 0.990, I would say that it is finished fermenting. There are two schools of thought on adding K-sorbate. One is, if the fermentation is complete there is no need to add it and the other is, it is added protection against re-fermentation, but that would be your call. I sometimes leave it out if I am confident that fermentation is complete.

I assume that you made this wine from fresh fruit. I base this on the statement that you added Campden before pitching the yeast. Since it has been going for 2 months, I think it would be okay as long as you have it under airlock. The safe way to answer your question is to do a test on the level of free SO2. Perhaps since this is your first foray, you may not have the test equipment or the knowledge on how to do it. If I were you, I would keep it in the carboy for a couple more months, then add 4 crushed campden tablets dissolved in a small amount of the wine, let it sit for a few days and then bottle it.

This is what I would do. You may want to get some other input. In any case, you don't have to do anything right away as long as it is under airlock.

Thank you Rocky your on point and ok ill do that then. But since its been opened to add super kleer before... am I safe to not use the camden yet, i just dont want it oxidizing

soflavino,
If it's been 2 months since you added the super kleer you may want to rack the wine off the the lees if there is quite a bit of sediment in the bottom of your carboy. If you do decide to rack it I would suggest that you add 1 campden tablet (crushed) per gal. of wine. Mix the campden tablets with some of the wine and pour it into the receiving carboy and rack your wine onto this mixture. After you rack be sure to top up your carboy. If you are going to back sweeten or add an f-pac you will have to add k-sorbate as well before adding sweetners or f-pac. You can do this now or wait until about a week before you bottle. If you age the wine another 3 months you can add campden,sorbate, and sweetner about a week or two before bottling. Sorbate is added at the rate of 1/2 tsp for each gal. of wine and sorbate works best if added at the same time as k-meta. Good luck.

LOUMIK

Thank you loumik i appreciate it i cnt wait to bottle and share with my family!! Im also competing with my supervisor and he got me into it so yes imma beat him lol

I agree with Loumik. If you haven't added campden after fermentation was complete, you should add the recommended amount (1 tablet per gallon). No need for sorbate IF you don't add any sugar. If you want it sweetened you need to add sorbate.

Just a cautionary note - even if it looks clear to you it may not be clear. Two months really isn't that long. After you rack it off of the superkleer and add campden I would let it sit for at least another two months. I'll bet you'll see a nice fine dusting of sediments on the bottom again. You don't want that in your bottles.

The biggest mistake I see with new wine makers is bottling too quickly. Patience does pay off when it comes to wine. :)

That being said, I know the feeling of wanting to present your finished product as soon as possible.

Please write back and let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back