WineXpert ? about step #2 on my French Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lherndo

Reaction score
My chardonnay came with two pack of oak chips which are floating away. I'm now on day #2 and it's fermenting along nicely. I'm supposed to rack on Day 7 when my SG gets to the right #.

Do I move the oak chips into the carboy or do they just last for the first 7 days?

Also, I'll be using the Battonage method of stirring the lees for a longer period before the second rack. Do I only stir the lees that form from after its moved to the carboy or do I need to intentionally transfer some from the bottom of the primary fermentation bucket?

Thanks.

My chardonnay came with two pack of oak chips which are floating away. I'm now on day #2 and it's fermenting along nicely. I'm supposed to rack on Day 7 when my SG gets to the right #.

Do I move the oak chips into the carboy or do they just last for the first 7 days?

Also, I'll be using the Battonage method of stirring the lees for a longer period before the second rack. Do I only stir the lees that form from after its moved to the carboy or do I need to intentionally transfer some from the bottom of the primary fermentation bucket?

Thanks.

All the oak, and most of the sediment will stay behind when you rack to secondary. Even if you try to leave most of the thick stuff on the bottom of the bucket, you will still find there's plenty of sediment to stir into suspension when you begin batonnage.

Jim

lherndo:

Is there a specific reason that you are asking this question here? You appeared to be happy with the responses you got from the same question at finevinewines. Is there something that wasn't answered?

Steve

I just stubled onto finevines yesterday...

I've been posting here since I started a few months ago. I just wanted to get registered over there so I went ahead and posted.

I'm new enough to this that I'm looking for as much info and input as possible. I had no idea it was mostly the same people over there as over here:D

Latest posts

Back