AA mislabeled a vine, can it be ID'd?

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by Stressbaby, Aug 24, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Aug 24, 2019 #1

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

I got my vines from AA three years ago. In the row of Frontenac I have one vine that is clearly different. Grapes are lighter, almost bronze colored. The juice looks like a straight-up white after crush, but got just the faintest pink color at the end of pressing. Pics to follow.

2. Aug 24, 2019 #2

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

ID1.jpg

ID2.jpg

ID3.jpg

ID4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
  3. Aug 24, 2019 #3

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

Well shoot, the last pic is thumbnail. Anyway, in two of these you see this unidentified grape with regular Frontenac in the background.

Any thoughts?

4. Aug 24, 2019 #4

ibglowin

ibglowin

ibglowin

Moderator Super Moderator

I fixed it for you. No idea what is is but nice clusters on everything. Only way would be to send a sample in for testing.

5. Aug 24, 2019 #5

KevinL

KevinL

KevinL

Looks like you got yourself a Frontenac Gris vine.

I've got a row of them, I let a little fruit come in on them here's mine for comparison:

upload_2019-8-24_15-55-57.png

upload_2019-8-24_15-56-26.png

Your vine looks healthy, but I gather you intended to have the Noir. They do have a money back guarantee at Double A, so If you wanted to get your $5 back you could, but I don't think you can get the 3 years back of getting the vine mature.

Stressbaby likes this.
  6. Aug 25, 2019 #6

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

Thanks @KevinL. It looks a lot like yours, I suspect you are correct. I'm making a gallon of white wine out of it, not sure if we'll blend or bottle straight up.

7. Aug 25, 2019 #7

BigH

BigH

BigH

I think they either gave you Frontenac Gris by mistake, or they gave you a Frontenac that happened to undergo the same mutation that created Fr Gris. That isn't unheard of. The mutation for Fr Blanc appeared in different locations.

It could also be a new mutation. Will be interesting to see if it produces wine similar to Fr Gris.

H

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  8. Aug 25, 2019 #8

VillaVino

VillaVino

VillaVino

This happened to me as well. The same vine supplier sent ~50 Lacresent vines in 125 Brianna vines. When planting, you can’t tell the difference. So, 2 years later, I noticed there where vines that looked different and did not grow like the other sturdy Brianna. The clusters looked diseased and the vine just flopped around no matter how I trained it. I contacted AA and they had me send a leaf sample of both types of vines. Well, they came back and confirmed I had a mix. They sent me 50 Brianna the next season. I kept the Lac in the rows and just pick them separately. Where I live Lac vines are a complete PITA to grow but they make some good wine. This year, the Lacresent is a complete loss.