AA mislabeled a vine, can it be ID'd?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
I got my vines from AA three years ago. In the row of Frontenac I have one vine that is clearly different. Grapes are lighter, almost bronze colored. The juice looks like a straight-up white after crush, but got just the faintest pink color at the end of pressing. Pics to follow.

Well shoot, the last pic is thumbnail. Anyway, in two of these you see this unidentified grape with regular Frontenac in the background.

Any thoughts?

I fixed it for you. No idea what is is but nice clusters on everything. Only way would be to send a sample in for testing.

Looks like you got yourself a Frontenac Gris vine.

I've got a row of them, I let a little fruit come in on them here's mine for comparison:

upload_2019-8-24_15-55-57.png

upload_2019-8-24_15-56-26.png

Your vine looks healthy, but I gather you intended to have the Noir. They do have a money back guarantee at Double A, so If you wanted to get your $5 back you could, but I don't think you can get the 3 years back of getting the vine mature.

Thanks @KevinL. It looks a lot like yours, I suspect you are correct. I'm making a gallon of white wine out of it, not sure if we'll blend or bottle straight up.

I got my vines from AA three years ago. In the row of Frontenac I have one vine that is clearly different.

I think they either gave you Frontenac Gris by mistake, or they gave you a Frontenac that happened to undergo the same mutation that created Fr Gris. That isn't unheard of. The mutation for Fr Blanc appeared in different locations.

It could also be a new mutation. Will be interesting to see if it produces wine similar to Fr Gris.

H

Last edited:
This happened to me as well. The same vine supplier sent ~50 Lacresent vines in 125 Brianna vines. When planting, you can’t tell the difference. So, 2 years later, I noticed there where vines that looked different and did not grow like the other sturdy Brianna. The clusters looked diseased and the vine just flopped around no matter how I trained it. I contacted AA and they had me send a leaf sample of both types of vines. Well, they came back and confirmed I had a mix. They sent me 50 Brianna the next season. I kept the Lac in the rows and just pick them separately. Where I live Lac vines are a complete PITA to grow but they make some good wine. This year, the Lacresent is a complete loss.

Latest posts

Back