A nice wine experiance.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
To set this scene I need to be descriptive of the people in my neighborhood. We are a fairly even mix of Whites (thats me), Blacks, and Hispanics. Us Whites might be the low number. Anyway, after I had bottled the Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet I gave my immediate neighbor who is Hispanic (and does not speak English) a bottle. He liked it ok. I then gave me neighbor on the other side who happens to be Hispanic a bottle. He now brings me empty wine bottles and appears to be drooling. So, our neighborhood is a large circle with the smallest plot being 5 acres. Its pretty much a country setting right next to Houston. I do mean right next to Houston. I can throw a rock at the Houston city limit sign when I pull out of the neighborhood. So, I have been trying to get these Black guys down the road who have a very beautiful piece of land with a horse barn on it to give me some of his horse manure. I want to do a large compost operation for my gardens and possibly to sell it as well. He has that many horses. Well, I gave a bottle of the Blackberry to one of our Black neighbors and asked him to make an introduction so that I could see about purchasing or doing some tractor work for the manure. Next thing I know I have an invitation to the horse barn and they would like to know ifin I would bring a bottle of that wine with me to give to the owner. I met then owner and he said I could get a couple of scoops with my tractor. So I did and by the time I was getting my second scoop the were going on and on about the that Blackberry wine. They love this Blackberry wine. The owner said to come get all of the horse manure I want at any time I want for however long that I want. I mentioned that I might compost this stuff and sell it and he said more power to me. I have since gotten twelve loads of this stuff and there is much much much more with alot of horses eager to supply. This guys friends were there and the were trying to buy this wine from me. I didnt have the heart to tell them this was a cheap kit for beginners like me. Anyway, it looks like I will have to always have this kit on the brew so that I can keep my new friends from tearing my door down. Their ears perked up when I told them I have several different fruit batches going right now. I didnt even like the Blackberry winekit that much. I really really like the hard apple cider I made. Just thought I would share and say Thank You to yall for helping me in this wonderfull hobby.

Mjd

All those farms, you have to get some people growing some fruit for you to make wine from.

wade said:
All those farms, you have to get some people growing some fruit for you to make wine from.

Being this close to Houston, most everybody here is working in Houston or in Pasadena at the refineries. Some have animals but I dont see many gardens. I seem to be the only one that has a garden of any size. I am very serious about my watermelons and I know I am going to have some setbacks due to spoilage but I am going to master the watermelon wine thing. Thats what I am doing right now is studying different yeast and nutrients on Lalvins website. I had not even heard of Fermaid K till just a few minutes ago. Next year I am going to be doing a lot of different fruits.

Thanks for posting that story MJ. In the news of this day; it was nice to hear of a diverse group getting along for the good of all.

There is probably a Smart Alec Comment coming about the quality of your wine vs: the quality of the Horse Manure, but not from me, tonight anyway.
smiley1.gif

All things considered, you should probably look into beekeeping as well. You could get honey and make mead as well. I bet watermelon blossom mead would be pretty nice......................

Great that they liked the OB Blackberry, now you can get all the manure you'll ever need............. I'd buy em a kit, make them 30 bottles and see what they gave me LOL

gaudet said:
All things considered, you should probably look into beekeeping as well.

Funny you should mention that. I have been investigating it. Right now though, I have 3 projects that seem to be eating up my time and I need for them to settle down then I can get into the beekeeping. I've got 3 seperate gardens, cows coming, 1969 tractor getting restored, and I still have to leave time to make wine.

Isn't it amazing what happens when you share a bottle of your wine with someone.AL
smiley4.gif

Back