Other A LITTLE VIOGNIER STORY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
As some of you know Curtis works as a wine consultant at Spec's Wine, Liquor and Finer Foods here in Houston and I have been making wine for 3 years now and have been with this great forum that long too.
Every Thursday his company has a wine tasting for the consultants on the featured wines and winery direct products that they sell.

Today they had a Mystery Wine. It was placed on the table in a brown paper bag and everyone could pour and taste. This was a white wine, smooth, fruity, and light. It received great reviews!!! When it was revealed it turns out that it was a bottle of VR California Viognier that was one of the first wines I ever made in 2005. Curtis had given it to one of his co-workers back then and he hadn't opened it. It ended up on the tasting table inthe brown bag. Curtis brought home about 1/3 bottle that was left for me to try. It was very nice, smooth, with a great mouth feel and fruitiness. I don't get to try my wines after they have aged because they go to fast and I give so much away. It was a very nice surprise and it made my day. It is as fine as any Viognier I have ever had!!!

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

What a treat for you and a testimony on the benefits of letting your wines age.

Very nice story Ramona. Goes to show that kit wines, particularly a lower level kit (at least the white kits)can make a good wine. These folks that were tasting taste fine wines all the time. One other thing it shows is that the VR kitscan and will last over a year. I wish they would of removed the "Best if drank within a year" statement. I know it is a marketing ploy to get you to buy more kits but I believe it keeps many from giving their wines proper age and in the long run discourages some to give up winemaking as the wines they make and drink way too young do not meet their expectations and they just give up. Congrats on a fine wine!

Ramona, doesn't that make you feel great? I give many of my wines to friends and co-workers. Many times they open a bottle before I ever do and rave about how good it is. I always tell them, if they didn't enjoy the wine to be blunt honest about why they didn't care for it and they WON'T hurt my feelings. So far, no one has said they have used it as "cooking wine".
So, gratz on the wonderful surprise and glad you got to taste it!!
smiley36.gif

Just goes to show you Ramona that you need to make more wine so that you can start to have enough to age some.

One of these days im going to sort through the cellar just to make sure some of those first batches do get a bottle or two put back! Maybe I can surprise myself someday! That must of been a good feeling to get the reviews you did, way to go!

Back