A little help....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kdcurl I am guessing you didn't take that picture yesterday! If you did it would be through ice! Glad you got to post a couple pictures. Thanks for sharing.

kdcurl said:
Here is a pic of my grandkids...

tucker2008220.jpg

I have my camera set for a bit wider images...so everything is a bit curved.... like in the photo above that kdcurl posted....Nice looking group...
So, the floor isn't sagging..[I don't think]

In photos of my wine, all my bottles never look like they are standing straight, nor do the carboys....
smiley3.gif

Imagines get a bit distorted, but you get a wider view.

Jeff D said:
Eli, do all the white tail deer drop there antlers this early or only the younger ones? My wife took an elk yesterday! The neighbors had a bunch of game damage tags they needed used. It's not like hunting exactly, but the meat is sure nice to have.

Jeff

I'm not sure what makes them drop their antlers, but I don't think it's just the younger ones. My brother took a 10 point buck a few years ago during the Muzzleloader season, which is in mid-December, and one of the antlers came off when he lifted it up to look at it.

White tail deer drop their antlers annually...Then next years are bigger. I think the new one growing up pushes the old ones off...Like a 6 year old child loosing their teeth.

They like to shake them off in our fields, hoping to puncture a tractor tire....which they do. They will also loose them after jumping fences....Seems if they loose one their heads are off balance and they will usually shake the other one off nearby.

Jim left some acres of corn in the field to dry down more through the winter...those pesky deer are in there like thieves in the night....I am sure we will find horns in the fields come spring as well as in the neighboring woods where they sleep and digest their full bellies.

They have been knocking the electric fences down and our horses are roaming around the yard every few days....So, now the horses are locked in a small area...

In spring when they are growing new horns they are fuzzy and huge...called 'in velvet'.

Then they rub off the 'velvet' on trees to polish their new horns...Seems they will most likely do it on young apple trees or something you plant in your yard....
smiley7.gif
This we call the 'horny' stage....I'm sure there is a real name for it.

We have found one moose horn [shed] in our woods too.

Do Black Tails/Mule deer loose their horns too???

Northern Winos said:
This we call the 'horny' stage....I'm sure there is a real name for it.

Do Black Tails/Mule deer loose their horns too???

The word for the "horny" stage is called the "Rut".

Not sure about Blacktail, but I know Mulies shed their antlers too.

Critters with antlers shed them! Critters with horns keep them, unless they are broken or damaged in some way. Our deer start to drop there antlers in late Feb and the elk in mid march. The elk rut in Sept. and Oct. and the deer in Oct & Nov.

Now I wonder, why do the north eastern deer shed so much earlier in the year?

Jeff
I did work as a logging contractor before I had a heart attack. I deliver Fuel for a living these days. Keith

appleman said:
kdcurl I am guessing you didn't take that picture yesterday! If you did it would be through ice! Glad you got to post a couple pictures. Thanks for sharing.

That pic was taken last summer as we drift fished the Kitimat river. Our guide had to hold the fish up for my wife so I could take the picture

Keith

Latest posts

Back