a jack keller quote, can someone please explain

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kracker

Reaction score
i try to study his directions alot, but this one has me stumped,

step #4
The fourth essential step in winemaking is to siphon the wine off the sediments (lees) into another clean secondary, reattach the fermentation trap, and repeat after another one or two months and again before bottling.
This procedure is called racking. It is done when necessary, not just two or three times as stated above. The rule is, as long as there are fresh deposits on the bottom after a regular interval (30 to 60 days), even if they are just a light dusting, the wine should be racked. Only when that interval passes and there are no fresh lees -- AND the specific gravity is 1.000 or lower -- is the wine ready to be prepared for bottling.

It is not necessary that the interval between rackings be 30 days, 45 days or 60 days, but it should not be less than three weeks. It is perfectly okay to leave the wine on the lees for three months. Beyond that and the wine enters a danger zone caused by dead yeast cells breaking down -- rotting. While this can cause off-flavors and odors if allowed to go on too long, the bigger danger is the formation of hydrogen-sulfide gas, which smells like rotten eggs and can be the death of the wine. But if the lees are stirred every week or so, neither the off flavors, off odors nor hydrogen-sulfide gas form. Indeed, the wine is actually improved by extended contact with the lees as long as they are stirred frequently.

During this entire period, the sulfur dioxide gas released into the wine from crushed Campden tablets or potassium metabisulfite is slowly dissipated through the airlock and its protective qualities are lost. It is therefore necessary to replenish this protection, and this is done at every other racking. The new sulfites are added to the receiving secondary and the wine racked into it.

does this mean we should add camden or PMeta every other racking? :?

does this mean we should add camden or PMeta every other racking? :?

Yes. It is K-Meta (PMeta would be phosporous metabisulfite). Some escapes through the airlock as he says and some gets bound up in the wine over time. The safest way to monitor it would be through an accurate test for free S02, but without that ability adding a small amount every 2-3 months will keep the level up.

best method is rack after three days, then three weeks, then three months, and every three months thereafter. 1/4 teaspoon KMeta for 5 gallons is good measure without testing at three week point and each of three months. I have tested
SO2 after one month and found the free SO2 to be pretty low. I would recommend adding each time you rack based on the periods I have mentioned. as a point I add clarifier after three day racking. usually at three week racking wine is clear. if clarifier is not used, Keller's recommendation to rack when lees are present is best.

Back