A few ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok first question if you make a yeast starter which calls for 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient do you also add yeast nutrient to the must if the recipe calls for it?
2. When do you add pectic enzyme to the must? I keep reading to add it 12 hours later. Please explain.
3. I was thinking of ordering some SuperKleer and I was wondering how it comes and how much you add to say 5 gallons. I need to know how much to order.

cowgirlallison said:
Ok first question if you make a yeast starter which calls for 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient do you also add yeast nutrient to the must if the recipe calls for it?

Yes....I add the usual amount to the must....Then I use ¼ teaspoon of sugar and Nutrient to the warm water, add the yeast,....I cover the cup with saran Wrap...then just pour the yeast on top of the must. I do NOT stir it in.
</font>

2. When do you add pectic enzyme to the must? I keep reading to add it 12 hours later. Please explain.

Sometimes I add it the first day....Don't really know the reasoning about that one...Hope someone explains...</font>

3. I was thinking of ordering some SuperKleer and I was wondering how it comes and how much you add to say 5 gallons. I need to know how much to order.

Super-Kleer KC comes in a two sided pouch...Each package is remeasured to do 5 gallons, tho I have done 3- 6 gallons.

I Have used a package in several gallon batches. I mixed each package in [?] ounces [the number of gallon jugs I had going] of water, then divided each ounce of liquid into each gallon jug.

Did that make sense???</font>
smiley4.gif

As far as the pectic enzyme goes, the reason is that the k-meta that you initially add can counter act the enzymes and make them not work or not work properly which can leave a pectin haze in your wine. Its good to have a few packets of the SuperKleer around especially if you are making fruit wines from scratch or from Harvest wine bases as they dont come with anything else but the juice. You should add the recommended nutrient for the batch of wine that you are making as what you add to make a starter is minuscule.
Edited by: wade

thank you both...can I ask why do you not stir in your yeast starter? So I can be sure I do it correct I simply pour it over the top of my must and let it go? I will though stir it the following days correct?

Most wine yeasts are top fermenters but a little stirring will not really hamper them as long as its a gentle stir.

From my take on it Enzymes are proteins and proteins and sulfites don't mix well. You add the sulfites and allow them to gas off to an acceptable level before adding the pectic enzymes. Proteins don't mix well with Bentonite either so you should allow time for it to settle as well if you use it.

When I make a country wine it is normally 48 hours before I pitch the yeast. I prepare my must and let it cool overnightto fermenting temperatures. I add sulfite's and let it set over night. I then add the yeast. I rarely make a starter for wine unless I am making a blueberry which is a hard wine to start a fermentation.

I normally add my yeast nutrient right to the starter for wine as well as beer. Beer and wine starters are different though. In beer you actually grow a yeast population before pitching. In wine you are merely waking up the yeast population before pitching.

Latest posts

Back