A few Pruning/Training Systems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought a few of you might like to see a few of my pruning/training systems. I am about done pruning finally since the snow all melted and I could walk in the vineyard without sinking to my ankles or deeper. The pictues aren't great. They would be better against a blue background, but just look at them closely and hopefully you can see the canes OK.

First up is a Buffalo grape vine-very vigorous. I wanted a lot of nodes/high bud count left because they were so vigorous(about 5 pounds average pruned wood). I need to spread the canopy so I pruned to 4 canes with a high and low fruiting wire.

javascript:void(0);

20080422_061546_100_3827_Medium.jpg

The prunings from the Buffalo- a lot to clean up next.

20080422_061834_100_3829_Medium.jpg

Next is a double trunk- spur pruned Leon Millot

20080422_062301_100_3830_Medium.jpg

Closeup of some spurs- leaving a few buds

20080422_062633_100_3831_Medium.jpg

Then some Catawbas pruned and trained to anUmbrella Kniffen system

20080422_062824_100_3833_Medium.jpg

Notice how the canes are bent over the top wire and tied to the middle wire.

Then a Frontenac sprur pruned for Verticle Shoot Positioning- VSP.

20080422_063055_100_3836_Medium.jpg

Finally a St. Pepin vine pruned basically to a 4 arm Kniffen. I use this for the St. Pepin because it is a pistillate vine and needs a high bud count retained for adequate production.

javascript:void(0);

******* Well I tried to put in the St. Pepin a million times but get sql error messages******** SORRY

That's all for now. Any questions?

Edited by: appleman

What are those little blue-green things you use to train the vines to the wires, where do you get them, and how do you put them on?

OK... that was three questions!

Joan they are a vinyl tape about 3/8" wide and stapled with tiny staples. They last a couple years and come off pretty easily when you want them to. The problem with it is the application gun. It is a Tapener tool and isn't cheap at about $50.00 at Orchard Valley Supply. You might be able to find one local out there. I got it when I had a lot of apple trees to train and it works great for training grapes too.

http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/ovsstore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=48

Mine is an older model the Max Tapener.

I bought it from OVS...it was less expensive there than other places on the internet. It wasn't worth the gas to go hunting for it locally.

question.!.....in the frontenac vsp picture..some of the spurs appear to be in positions other than upward facing.....i run into this as well because i could not get to lay the cane soon enough to lay it on the wire...will these side facing spurs be ok for the shoots that come out which i will train upward during the growing season?

They work just fine Al. You can't get them all to point staight up. As you train the following year, the shoots develop and most will go upright, but some will want to sag. Make your wires for the VSP moveable. Set them low early and after you get enough growth, move them up to about 6-8 inches above the fruiting wire. That will bend them into position.

thank you...so then your fruiting wire is essentially the only one w real tension on it then?

That's right. The fruiting wire carries the bulk of the weight. Some folks use a lighter wire or even monofilament for the catchwires. I just use the same.

Latest posts

Back