A few equipment questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnF

Reaction score
Just a few newbie questions.

What thermometer do I need? I see one that floats in the wine, one that
sticks to the side of the carboy...and I think another one.

What acid test kit do I need? will the #5400 do what I need?

How about the wine thief....is it better to get the thief/test jar combo unit or separate pieces?

John F

Welcome John...glad to have you aboard our forum!

I use a dial thermometer like the one George sells #5423.

The Acid Kit #5400 will work just fine for testing TA (titratable acidity ) if you are making fruit wines. Kit wines do not need any acid testing as this is already done for you.

Definitely go for the the thief/test jar combo #5432 for ease of use and one less item to sanitize...cost is neutral!

Edited by: masta

Thanks!

I'll get those items and a few more to complete my equipment kit.

Can you tell me if a double lever corker will work or not? I don't
mind if it's just harder to use (strength/effort) than the floor corker
but if it simply won't get the job done then I'll rent a floor corker
for the first couple batches and then buy one later. If on the other
hand it will work I may buy the double lever to use for a while.

John F

If you can afford it, get either the Italian or the Portuguese floor corker. You will not regret it. The double lever will not properly cork all bottles, such as the odds and ends you will be scrounging and picking up here and there.

Here here!

I agree! I just bought a portugese one for those darned flail-topped bottles (my parents seem to love the wine in them) from George. I haven't gotten it yet, but you certainly won't be 1000% happy with the double-levered one for those weird bottles (and you ALWAYS get weird bottles.).....

John F,

Like CW stated, the floor corker is the way to go guy. If you have not gotten a corker, then "cry once," and get the best. You will not regret it at all. If you are really serious about stiking with winemaking and by all means start off with the best tool around. Your "back" will love you for that!
smiley36.gif

Back