A DISAPPOINTING MORNING

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
The sun had yet to rise on the eastern horizon as I parked my pickup on the side of the highway. Getting out, I glanced out at the area ahead of me I was about to traverse in pursuit of the wild Elderberries ( Not Sumac Appleman hehehe)It was a lot higher and thicker up close I thought to myself as I reached and retrieved my bottle of deep woods off and began applying a good protective coat. Glancing back at the area I went ahead and sprayed up past my waist. Gathering my camera, walking stick and a large plastic garbage bag as it began to break day, I made my way through the underbrush and briers in the direction I had seen the blooms of the Elderberries several weeks past. Within 50-75 yards of my trek, I was soaking wet from the dew as well as the sweat that the hot humid morning was already leeching from me. Battling ahead, with about another 200 or so yards to go I was thinking to myself that I should have brought my bottle of repellent with me to apply another protective coat that I was sure the sweat and dew was washing away. I could already feel the insects crawling down my back. Or was that merely rivlets of sweat?

The latter I hoped as another one of those danged ole "gotcha" briers embedded itself deep in my arm.

ba1c2782.jpg

For a 60 year old, overweight, smoker it was beginning to seem as if I would never get through this overgrown mess. But with well placed swings of my walking stick and a few choice words, I prevailed, and as I reached the first plant I had seen from the highway those weeks past my ole heart sank !! What few berries were left on the bushes were still green.

f5505203.jpg

28e5e22e.jpg

83df0ffc.jpg

You damned fool, I muttered to myself, The birds have been busy heckling your damned ole plastic snakes while eating away at the Elderberries in your yard. What the hell made you think they would not even more eagerly be eating at the feast provided them out here in the wild. I stuffed my still empty trash bag in my back pocket, took a long swig of the now tepid bottle of water I had brought and headed back to my truck. Wet, hot but a wiser man I cranked my truck and kicked on the air as the sun slowly rose, a ball of fire through the towering pines from the area I had just left behind.

fdd89e9d.jpg

Maybe next year I will come back and put some bird netting over them or maybe I'll just plant a couple more trees in my Wineyard this fall !!!

Geeze Waldo, Looks like a rough morning there... The PWP will now dispense 1 Poor Baby as I'm sure you deserve one. The fact that the birds beat you to the berries is literally insult to injury! Have a cup of coffee and take a break.

Waldo ,

for a few bottles of muscadine wine and some "waldo shimp boil" ill make the trip down south with my trusty Browning 12 ga.and stand guard!!!

Waldo...some days just suck!!!!.....Hope your arm is okay...? On the bright side...you caught a beautiful sunrise.

We had been picking Chokecherries at day break...it was such a peaceful time to be out in the wet grass, enjoying the cool mornings....
One thing about getting wild berries is that you have to deal with all the critters, birds, weather conditions and other pickers....If you plant more of your own bushes you have more control over conditions.....

Remember..there is s bumper crop in every can of Vintners Harvest Fruit Bases.

Sorry to hear all that buddy, but it is perserverance that eventually pays off so maybe theres a cash crop right down the road!

chevyguy65 said:
Waldo ,

for a few bottles of muscadine wine and some "waldo shimp boil" ill make the trip down south with my trusty Browning 12 ga.and stand guard!!!

Your on chevy
smiley36.gif
Want some crab legs with the shrimp too?

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
I love that NW.......But do they have Elderberry? I'll have to go look now.

I was disappointed Wade but still count it as a good morning and I figure that anytime I have an opportunity to learn I have gained.

If its any consolation Waldo, rain all morning has made a shut in of me, even though we need it, id rather be out getting scratched up.
smiley36.gif

They do have elderberry and I have never tried this 1 so if you do
please tell me how it is when starting and after it is finished. I have
tried a few and some of them are pretty weak right off the start like
the marionberry which didnt survive as that was the 1 I over sulfited
to death!

JWMINNESOTA said:
If its any consolation Waldo, rain all morning has made a shut in of me, even though we need it, id rather be out getting scratched up.
smiley36.gif

RAIN....????? You got rain?????? Count yourself lucky....I've had the sprinklers running all day in the veggie garden...the flowers are dying....The crops are stressed, especially the soybeans...they wilt every afternoon....Seems every summer lately we get to watch our crops deteriorate....So sad...
smiley19.gif

I feel your pain Waldo. It not only hurts to get stuck with the pickers, but hurts when the birds eat everything up. So dissapointing with the elderberries. I know every year there are probably 100 elderberry bushes around my place, and I'm lucky if a few make it without being eaten.

Crows are my biggest nemesis. Since they became a protected species the populations have exploded. There are flocks of hundreds if not thousands fly around and devour everything in their paths. I have lost acres of tomatoes and sweetcorn before to them and now it's my brothers turn. He replanted the indian corn 3 times this year. He finally got a few scarecrows up to try to get at least some of it growing. I have had them literally destroy fields of 10000 tomato plants full of tomatoes. There are a few varieties they especially relish-not sense growing them anymore!

So good luck fighting the birds!
smiley4.gif

NW we did get rain most all day, nice and cool , starting to clear this late afternoon, predicting more late monday into tues, much needed here also, hope you get some soon.

Crows are protected????? Why would they be protected??? What a shame to loose your livelihood to those pesky birds....
I hate them...they pull the corn seeds in Jim's corn fields, eat other birds eggs, and are really obnoxious.....Use to have people in our corn fields with some recordings they would play on a tape deck and then shoot them.....Shhhh!!! Don't tell....But...don't think they are protected here.Edited by: Northern Winos

That's right NW, they are a Federally protected migratory gamebird.!

<H3><A name=legalStatusInNY></A><A name=legalStatusInNY></A>Legal status in New York:</H3>

Federally protected migratory bird (under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act). In New York, crows are a protected game species with an open season. An exception to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act allows the taking of crows without a federal permit when the birds are "found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance." In these cases, you don't need permits beyond your NWCO license.

We have found that the best way to keep them somewhat at bay is to kill a few and put them in very visible spots. There are some corn baits you can use that are supposed to make them sick when they eat it and put out distress calls - doesn't work! You gotta love NY to live here!

The only time I like seeing the crowsis late fall, with the two huge oak trees in my yard I get an abundance of acorns and they come in and clean them up for me. Other than that I see only a few every now and then. That may change though when I start getting Muscadiens, Elderberries and Blueberries in abundance. Then, out comes the Browning Magnum !!

Put the crow calling tape/CD in turn the volume up load the old trusty Browning up and have a blast!!!!

Note: Extra box's of shells is a must.
smiley36.gif

My experience is somewhat similar to yours Waldo, except I didn't have to walk through the woods.

It's about a 60 mile trip from one of my offices to the next. when these were flowing and can be seen, I noted on a map several areas right along the road side where there are hundred of these plants.

Then DOT comes along and sprays weed killer.........................
smiley19.gif

Edited by: jobe05

Latest posts

Back