WineXpert A couple of questions before I bottle.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Vino

Reaction score
Well, the excitement is mounting as I find myself now in possesion of 30 empty bottles, and a carboy filled with wine..

I racked the wine for a second time over the weekend into a second carboy, was doing great until the very bottom and I pulled up some of the crapy lees off the bottom.

Its been a day now and The racked wine looks clear, but how long should I wait to bottle. I'm thinking of a week.

As long as your wine is topped up, it is fine if it sits. You can pretend you're bulk aging!
smiley1.gif
You will be able to watch the lees settle.

Thanks Joan, yes its topped and airlocked. I'll give it a bit more time. I'm in no hurry.....oh wait yes I am it looks tasty!

Patience, Michael!
smiley4.gif

I know... I hate hearing that too! =) It will only improve the product if you wait.

This is just me, but I always wait at least 10 days after I rack before I bottle. Actually now, I follow the kit instructions which normally state around 10 days between racking. I then filter to carboy and let sit for at least 30 days. If I were racking off lees and sucked up some sediment though, I would wait around 10 days to see how much lees fall out of the wine. It isn't going to hurt anything and it can help you eliminate sediment in your bottles.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Wait as long as you can. Even when it looks pretty clear, I have bottled and then found sediment in the bottles before. Now I bulk age awhile!

Michael, I make wine from my own fruit. I have a HUGE problem with suspended matter. I have tried many finings. The besr I have found ie Super-Kleer K.C. I got from George. Works great to clear. No seniment in the bottles at all. Badhabit Edited by: Badhibit

Smurfe, Wade & Badhibit,.... Thanks for the support. I'm going to let it sit a while longer.

So, I guess the smart thing to do would be to start looking at getting a second kit in the primary..... I've been leaning towards the Luna Rosa from WE Selection Original Series, any comments on this are appreciated

Back