6th Annual MVWS Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky number 13 is my Red Mt. Trio. Unofficially that is.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

I would assume sometime after our next wine club meeting, which is March 13.

A general overview of how we run this, to keep bias out of it, as much as possible.
Bottles arrive at the collection point and get assigned a number.
All judging and entering is done by that number. Those of us helping know our numbers, and might get told by a few other members hey my numbers are in this range, but I hardly remembered my numbers, much less what others told me.
Judges mark values on sheets (along with required comments, no comments on sheet, back to judge it goes).
Sheets come to the scoring table, person 1 verifies the score addition and any discrepancies, we go right back to the judge to clarify.
After addition is verified, the sheets come to the two of us who enter bottle number, judge number, score. Golds are instantly pulled for best-of-show.

After the competition, another person goes back, re-verifies the addition and that everything got entered properly. Medals are awarded after that.

I would assume sometime after our next wine club meeting, which is March 13.

A general overview of how we run this, to keep bias out of it, as much as possible.
Bottles arrive at the collection point and get assigned a number.
All judging and entering is done by that number. Those of us helping know our numbers, and might get told by a few other members hey my numbers are in this range, but I hardly remembered my numbers, much less what others told me.
Judges mark values on sheets (along with required comments, no comments on sheet, back to judge it goes).
Sheets come to the scoring table, person 1 verifies the score addition and any discrepancies, we go right back to the judge to clarify.
After addition is verified, the sheets come to the two of us who enter bottle number, judge number, score. Golds are instantly pulled for best-of-show.

After the competition, another person goes back, re-verifies the addition and that everything got entered properly. Medals are awarded after that.

Thanks Craig. There are several things I really like about this contest, among them:

1.) I like that judges must comment. No blank sheets with just numbers on them.

2.) IIRC, all judging sheets are also sent back to the contestants, whether they won a medal or not. THIS IS HUGE for someone trying to figure out where to go with their future winemaking. I even entered a wine this time that I figured could not win just because I'd get the scoring feedback on it. All other contests I have entered so far do not do this - they only send the sheets to those who medal, and only about their wines that won.

IMO, these are two things that should be part of every contest. I'd encourage everyone interested in getting feedback to mark this one down to enter next year.

Lucky number 13 is my Red Mt. Trio. Unofficially that is.

What! That thing is just a baby in diapers still! I have all 30 bottles still laying down on the rack. I have opened both splits and they were fantastic at ~1 year and 18 mo.

Cradle robber ! :)

Congrats!

What! That thing is just a baby in diapers still! I have all 30 bottles still laying down on the rack. I have opened both splits and they were fantastic at ~1 year and 18 mo.

Cradle robber ! :)

Congrats!

Thankfully I did two batches back to back about a month or so apart. I haven't touched the second batch. I do have several of the first batch still but have given several away. The saddest thing is that I just last week gave away a magnum of the first (winning) batch to a charity auction. They made up a basket of 30 high ticket bottle of wine and a few home winemakers offering. It was quite a mixed basket ranging from Opus to me and everywhere in between. I understand it went for $3,000.00. Kinda wish I had given them something else. :(

To any and all that entered wines in this competition and happen to live somewhat near the St. Louis, Mo area. We are having a meeting on

Thur., March 13, 2014, 7 PM
First State Community Bank in Warrenton, MO

official results of the competition will be announced. If you plan to attend, it is probably a good idea to let me know and I'll let the official scorer know, so that your score sheets and medals will be present.

If you do come, please bring a wine to share (homemade or commercial). Meetings are very informal and generally irreverent, with a bit of knowledge shared.

tonight is the big night

Tonight, we have our monthly wine club meeting. Anyone in attendance will be the first to see the results of the competition. We are expecting close to 40 people in attendance. We also have a lot of stuff to giveaway tonight to anyone that attends. I will be posting the results to our website, www.mvws.org probably Sunday. I am mailing out the score sheets, medals and awards Saturday. I will send an email out to all registered users of our website when the results are posted.

Looking at the results for this year, there were a lot of very high quality wines. Hats off to all of you that entered. We had a record number of medals this year. The medals turned out really nice. I know you will like them.

I am already working on next year's competition. I am adding a new award category for next year. It will be the Winemaking Club of the Year. This will be the top average score of 15 wines entered for a wine club. You would need to list your winemaking club on the entry form. The winning wine club will win a $150 gift card that can be used by the members of the wine club.

I also am deciding what to give away for the Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year for next year's competition. I normally spend about $200 for each of those.
I am looking for suggestions on what to give away. If you were to win one of those categories, what would you like to get?
This year, it was a 30 gallon American Oak Barrel for each.
Last year, it was a 15 gallon Stain steel Tank.
Give me your thoughts.

Last edited:
Jon,
You did really good. One of each, Gold, Silver and Bronze. Not bad, 3 out of 5 wines medaled.

Thanks Bob!!!

I had a really good time at the meeting last night.

I need to venture out that way more often to your meetings.

One of these days I will become a member!!

Congrats, Jon!! Wish I could have made it out for the meeting. Been too busy even to log on here in the longest while! Ugh. At any rate, looking forward to getting some quality feedback in a few days!

Hey Chris thanks!! Yeah wish you could have made it. I think you did pretty good. Results should be posted online pretty soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back