5 Gallon Carboy with Ridges - Sediment in Ridges

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ithink2020

Reaction score
So I have a 5 Gallon Carboy with Ridges (See Pic). On Sunday I degassed the wine, stabilized, added K-meta and SuperKleer.

(Ridges are circled - Photo was taken prior to last racking)
20101116_085920_Ridges.jpg

I noticed this morning (sorry no new pic) that there is sediment resting in the ridges. My fear is when I go to rack the wine will pull the sediment out of the ridges and back into the wine.

Has anyone else had experience with this type of carboy? Will the sediment stay in place if I follow good racking technique? Or will I just need to keep racking the wine until there is no visible sediment?

Thanks!

Matt

I have seen it stick and float free. The longer you leave it aging you more it will want to stick generally. Do you plan on filtering at some point?

You will have to rack off the fines (as normal) before bottling but then you may need one more racking after that depending on how sticky the stuff in the ridges are.

It's a batch of Skeeter Pee, so wasn't planning on leaving it age very long. Wasn't going to filter this one...don't have a filter yet. However, if I leave it in the Carboy until after Christmas, I may have one. Depends how good Santa thinks I was this year...lol.

I've read that twisting the carboy from side to side a little will help free the stuff in the Ridges. Going to try that tonight and see what happens.

Matt

I've noticed this too on a wine of mine, after transferring it looked like most of it stayed behind. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yup just give it a gentle spin or rock back and forth.

Tilt it slightly and slowly roll around. I've heard a tennis ball works well for this.

grip both sides of the carboys with your hands as if you were going to lift it, but from the middle of it. Twist/spin the carboy about 70 degrees in either direction, using sharp movements; quick right, quick left. This will dislodge the sediment from the ridges, but not really upset all the sediment in the center of the carboy. Do this for about 2 weeks, and then just let it all settle and compact.

Yep the quick twist is the way to go, you may need to do this a few times, Its the main flaw in Italian carboys.

Gave the Carboy a few quick twists last night and that seems to have resolved the issue. I'm going to do it again the next two days can keep an eye out for any more sediment.

Thanks again!

Matt

Well, Twisting method worked great. Pee is clearing nicely.

20101119_140934_IMG_7226.JPG

You can read the wine book behind the carboy!

20101119_141117_IMG_7227.JPG

Going to let it sit for another week, see if it clears any more.

Matt

ithink2020 said:
Well, Twisting method worked great. Pee is clearing nicely.

Going to let it sit for another week, see if it clears any more.

Matt

We are still talking about the wine you're making right? This isn't an update on a medical condition, or are you secretly Howard Hughes?
smiley36.gif

Well, dont look like it can clear much more but at least let it sit a little more to let the lees compact better making it less easier to disturb it when racking off it. Next time also tilt the carboy while clearing thus leaving you with one side of the carboy clear and the other side where all the sediment has piled up. This way when transferring it over to clean vessel you carry less over.

Wade, I really need to try that trick next time. By the way, it looks even clearer today...believe it or not. Will try to post some pictures when I have time.

Back