4 gal. Blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Reaction score
Started a 4 gal batch of (Dry) Blackberry Wine today.
Froze the berries then put in primary in strainer bag.
I added some raisins in separate bag and added some Welches grape concentrate along with sugar and basic starting ingreedients.
I'll toss the yeast tomorrow.
Next will be a 5 gal batch of Apple Wine (Any great recipies for the apple?)

Blackberry_Starting.jpg

Blackberry Dragon

I have bottled and sent to my "taster panel" my blackberry dragon. I modified a recipe I received from fabrictodyefor. Since the supply of berries is not real good up here, I decided to use a can of Vintners Harvest Blackberry fruit wine base.

96 oz Blackberry base
48 oz lemon juice
5-11 oz cans concord grape juice cocktail (frozen)
3-11 oz cans 100% juice ( frozen)
1/2 t tannin
4 t nutrient
2 t energizer
water to 6 gallons
Start SG was 1.085 1116 yeast
One week later I put 2# store-bought blackberries in a pan with 2C. water.
Simmer, cooled and smushed. This was more for color than flavor. Put it into a straining bag.
A week later, I pulled the fruit, racked, added 1T sorbate and sparkoloid.
Two weeks later, the SG was down to 0.994. So I racked, added 2C. simple syrup and 1T sorbate.
Final SG was 1.000 and the ABV was 12.3%. I have backsweetened some of the bottles to 1.010.
The wine has a great color and clarity.

My best ideas for your apple wine are use fresh juice. Don't add water. Looks like you have tried apple, most of the recipes are all right if you stick with all juice. If you can get it, pressed juice from an orchard is the best. Good luck with it, Arne.

Back