4.30 ph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
I have some wine I'm making Zin from grapes from the Lodi region in CA, doesn't taste bad, not great, I've had worse and paid $30 dollars a bottle, the PH is off the scale for SO2 additions, what would you reccommend? bk

Did you calibrate your PH meter? If your meter is correct, you need to add acid to bring the PH down. What is your Brix?

PH meter is calibrated (as well as a Hanna can be).
Brix is -2
Acid is 7 (with an Accuvin test)
Cold Stabilized for over a month.
SO2 would have to be somewhere around 150 to 200 ppm. thanks. bk

What was PH prior to fermentation?

Good question, but right after I have a note that it was 3.77, then next time I checked it was 4.30, for some reason I thought cold stabilizing would help, don't even ask. If it needs acid where do you start. bk

What temp is this wine being stored at now? I have been told to adjust acid to get ph down then later worry about letting the acid work out. I would keep this wine stored at about 65 degrees and add 20 grams of tartaric acid per 5 gal carboy. Mix wit a couple ounces of water then dump in carboy. Check again in 3 or 4 weeks....

Sounds like my elderberry that I bottled. It was at 3.83 and .7? acid. Recommended SO2 was 89 ppm, I was at 93 ppm, couldn't taste SO2 so it was bottled.

Homer did you take this one through Malo as well? You need to get the PH down, if not you will have Microbe problems. Of course with a higher PH, you will need to use more SO2 to protect the wine. If you are looking to keep this wine around it will be tough with that high of a PH. I would shoot for 3.6 at least. Some may say nay but add slowly and taste. Maybe add let it drop in a week test again! Cheers

Those numbers just don't sound right for a Lodi Zin. I would question your PH tester.

Why don't you use the PH tester to check your TA, rather than a paper test?

I'd add tartaric in it to bring the ph in the 3.7 to 3.8 range . test strips are pretty useless , go with your meter , if you have a second meter or can borrow one double check it with fresh buffer.
Then add kmeta

Last edited:
I Agree tony,

The TA and the PH readings seem to vastly disagree. Although they will hardly ever agree completely, the mesure of acid weight (TA) and acid strength (PH) should be loosly in keeping with one another. One of these tests is most likely out of wack.

Back