33 pounds of Northern Indiana blueberrys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy123

Reaction score
Now where is that port recipe? It was a long drive back to Central Florida. Is everyone good with Jack Keller's recipe?

2013_0706aAa0030.jpg

Jack is usually lite on the berries, I would add more than what he stated

Freeze the berries
Thaw the berries

Hit them with pectic enzyme and a potato masher
Add just enough water to cover
Strain solids into a bag

Adjust sugar to 1.080 to start
Measure & adjust acidity (TA/pH)

Consider tannin additions, or the use of opti-red & booster rouge
Ferment with something like 1116 or D-47

When SG hits 1.030-1.040, adjust sugar up by 0.040
Spike with brandy/cognac/vodka/everclear when SG lowers back down to about 1.015 - 1.020

Degas & let it clear on its own time
When clear, bottle & forget about it for 5 years

Thats my port recipe, in a nutshell

Deezill, that sounds all good except for 33lbs of tater mashing and 5 long lonesome years.

The pectic enzyme does most of the work, you just need to bust the skins open on the blueberries with the masher to mix the skins with the juice

And 5 years.. It's worth it.. Just make a batch every year and you only have to wait 5 years, once

My Blueberry, 2heavy gals ( didn't weigh it). Of blueberries to 5 gal batch of wine was very good at18 mo. Now at 3 yrs old it's awesome. Only 2bottles left, which I had 33 lbs of blueberries! Roy

I dont use the straining bags as directed. My fruits prefer the freedom. I strain solids out near the end of the ferment when I do a transfer. It is a little messier but I feel I get a more effective breakdown from free living fruit. I cant get an accurate SG. cause of the thickness of this batch. the hydrometer just hits and sticks when dropped in. I used the bottom 3 quarts of a Vieux Chatteau du Roi kit to yeast up this batch.

if you don't use straining bags be prepared for lots and lots and lots and lots of lees.:D

Andy, to get enough liquid to get a reading you need a strainer/colander to press into the must. The liquid fills the well of strainer and you have your sample. I just stir the must quite well before I take my sample.

Thank You SARAMC. I am probably fruit heavy on this batch. The cap is a foot thick

I freeze my blueberries then thaw and put through a blender to make a puree of them, add your ingredients along with peptic enzyme then ferment 3 days in primary, then add bentonite, transfer to secondary around 1.01. Last batch I back sweetened with a good high quality organic blueberry jelly turned out great.

I pulled out five gallons of good from the carboy and I;m doing a second run blueberry something from the lees and cap. I cant testify to flavor but there is plenty of color left.

Back