30 bottles ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky_Top

Reaction score
7/22/2008 My wife bought me a six gallon wine starter kit for my birthday

7/25/2008 I got the kit in the mail (Thanks George!)

7/26/2008 I started my kit

8/1/2008 SG = 1040 before racking the kit I tasted the wine. It was rough and gassy.So I took another taste to be fair, still gassy. While racking to carboy I spilled some in the pan, drank it too. cleaned out the bucket and found that I could drink some out of the bucket too.

8/2/2008 tasted the kit to make sure that it did not have an infection from racking. still gassy.

--------George said in his videos that you should always taste the wine at different stages to learn more about wine. So I tasted it every day. still gassy

8/13/2008 SG = 996 . Added finishers. racked to three gallon carboy and topped off with 1/2 gallon of watter. drank what spilled into the pan. tasting a little better.

8/14/2008 Was amazed how much better the wine tasted yesterday so I thought That I would taste it again to make sure that it was really that good. This time it tasted a little watered down. after tasting it I had to top it back off but did not want to water it down any more so I added some marbles.

8/16/2008 had to buy 500 more marbles.

8/18/2008 had to buy 1000 more marbles.

8/20/2008 Started 2nd kit.

8/21/2008 had to travel to the next town to buy more marbles.

8/26/2008 Can not fit any more marbles in carboy.

8/27/2008 time to bottle. For all of my hard work and time I only got 3 and 1/2 bottles of wine. What a rip off!! (I drank the 1/2 bottle) Well my wife said that I needed a hobby. I put the three bottles in my new 240 bottle rack. It is going to take a long time to fill up that rack.

I Have to go, I just remembered that it is time to rack that second batch.

What kt was this? Sounds like you need to do a better job at racking off the lees without loosing too much or sampling.

I sampled about a pint each day
smiley4.gif

Maybe top off with a like wine and buy two then can sample what is leftover and not so much of the product
smiley5.gif
. I like your testing procedure though, since it's time to do your second batch better buy 3.
Happy belated birthday

ummmm Rocky, little less tasting equals more bottles to fill up that wine rack!!!
smiley36.gif

smiley36.gif
The spelling in your post is still good! You need to sample more wine to correct that!!! A pint a day is a little light.

If I keep five or so kits going and use smaller bottles on bottling day, I might get that rack filled in ten or twenty years. (Or maybe not, My wife is staring hard at those three bottles)
These kits are much better than a $15.00 bottle at the wine store. And you can drink a pint without getting a head ache.

Latest posts

Back