3/4 or 1/2 tsp per gallon of sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put the k-meta and sorbate in our peach and plum wines tonight... I noticed our pkg. of sorbate said to add 3/4 tsp. per gallon. Just as an FYI, these packets are supplied by our brewer supply company so it's their own printed label on the pkg. of sorbate - so it's not any one specific brand. ...EVERYTHING else I've ever read says 1/2 tsp per gallon...I searched and searched for a 3/4 tsp. recipe and found nothing. So, I erred on the side of caution and only added 1/2 tsp. per gallon.

Anyone ever heard of the 3/4 tsp. sorbate per gallon? Do you think we did the right thing by going down to the 1/2 tsp. per gallon?

Yes, actually, both the two fruit recipes and the packets I have say to add 3/4 per gallon (and that's the ratio I use for my plum wine). If you're back sweetening and fermentation doesn't restart then you're probably ok with what you added; if you're worried, I'd add the extra 1/4 per gallon, but really you're probably ok.

If you're not back sweetening and/or you did a full fermentation (to above 13%ish range) you're also probably ok.

Well to get technical 1/2 teaspoon per gallon is slightly more than you need when you are adding to 5 gallons. Your wine only needs somewhere betweer 2 1/4- 2 1/2 teaspoons but if anyone ever mis measures you may have a problem so 2 1/2 teaspoons for a 5 gallon carboy is what is recommended.

In addition if you ever measure out a carboy you will find that they all are slightly different in size and that 5 gallons is actually in the neck. You actually have 5 gallons plus 375-750ml more.

So in conclusion 1/2 teaspoon per gallon is fine and adding 3/4 teaspoon is actually overkill. Patience and good aging will kill off any remaining yeasts and not provide a problem for you in the future. Rushing wine making frequently leads to problems.

Latest posts

Back