WineXpert 2nd kit started! It was so much easier!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcoop

Reaction score
Well, last night I started my 2nd kit. It was so much easier this time around. Everything fell into place. I started the peach apricot chardonnay. I did add 4c sug to 4c. h20 to kick it up a tad. The initial SG was 1.072
smiley3.gif
. I guess adding the xtra sug and I really focused on my stirring. That was fun, I now know why guys love power tools
smiley36.gif
. Temp was 76. Taste was SWEET
smiley14.gif
. This morning it was beautiful, yeasty white on top and smelled great. I love tasting at every phase, it's so amazing!

And tasting at every step will help inthe development of your wine making skills dj..
smiley32.gif

That's great to hear. I started my second kit today, aJohannisburg Reisling,after racking the first for final clearing. I definately love tasting every step, helps me to learn what they should be like. Am looking forward to the smell of the new kit fermenting, though my wife may not like it as much as I do, I think it will be a bit less pungent than the Pinot Noir though.

Steve

Woo Hoo...Congrats on starting Kit #2 and before you know it you guys will be answering questions from the newbies!!!!
smiley36.gif

Each kit gets easier and easier - practice makes perfect (or at least, practice make a lot of wine!).
smiley36.gif

Funky, how true. The instructions make so much more sense after you've gone through the procedure once.

Waldo is also correct with the tasting part.
smiley36.gif

Steve, your wife will love it when the stuff is finished. There's a german saying, "Who wants to be beautiful must endure pain."
smiley36.gif

Masta, I agree. We have some very fast learners here.
smiley32.gif
George should name the Forum, "Forum of the Smart Winemakers!"

And DJ, I am sure your second wine will be a hit. The bulk aging is hard, though. (I'm warning you in advance!!!) Wait til you rack this one to glass, and then start a new one about a week later. That's how I did it, and it kept my mind (sorta) off the stuff that was supposed to age.
smiley36.gif

Martina~ Lucky for me, my 2nd kit is an Island Mist because I want it ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See here it is, pretty isn't it
smiley36.gif
2006-03-01_105332_0003.JPG

smiley2.gif
Just because I am curious by nature, and I have way too much time on my hands before I go to work, I thought I would sanatize my wine theif and stick it in my chianti to taste (just a smidge). As I pull the deep, red, cloudy mixture out and plop about 1/2 inch into a sml. glass, I smell. What is that smell, oh sulpher? Taste - not great, but if I had already drank a bottle of something else and had that throw caution to the wind attitude, I might could choke down a 1/2 a glass. It did sorta tast like a chianti. I felt good about it. Everything felt as it should, that with 3 more weeks of developement and 3-6 mo. min. in the bottle I will enjoy the fruits of my labor. Even if I have to drink another bottle of something else before
smiley2.gif

djcoop said:
As I pull the deep, red, cloudy mixture out and plop about 1/2 inch into a sml. glass, I smell. What is that smell, oh sulpher? Taste - not great, but if I had already drank a bottle of something else and had that throw caution to the wind attitude, I might could choke down a 1/2 a glass. It did sorta tast like a chianti. I felt good about it. Everything felt as it should, that with 3 more weeks of developement and 3-6 mo. min. in the bottle I will enjoy the fruits of my labor. Even if I have to drink another bottle of something else before
smiley2.gif

You got it! And, as you allow it to age more, it will sorta taste even more like a chianti!
smiley1.gif

Funky~

"You got it! And, as you allow it to age more, it will sorta taste even more like a chianti!"

I'm glad you said that, because I think it burned my tongue! Very acidy?

Donna

Very acidy or very alcoholic... If it has a sour pucker factor, that's the acids speaking. If it has a rocket fuel "hot" taste, that's the alcohol coming out. And if it has an itchy teeth, mouth drying sensation, that should be tannins talking.

Latest posts

Back