2nd batch help please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmhorse62

Junior
Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon batch of wine whose numbers were this straight out of the fermenter bucket before adding sugar and yeast. SG-1.010, Sugar 2.5 %, potential alcohol 2.5. %. After adding yeast and sugar 1 week later the numbers are-SG-1.090, Sugar 25%, potential Alcohol 13%. Do these numbers look correct or do I need to do something? TIA.

Similar questions to the ones I asked in your other post. But now I am more confused.

What is your overall process? When you say "wine" that is "straight out of the fermenter bucket," what are you referring to? I.e., what went in to your fermenting bucket to begin with?

Similar questions to the ones I asked in your other post. But now I am more confused.

What is your overall process? When you say "wine" that is "straight out of the fermenter bucket," what are you referring to? I.e., what went in to your fermenting bucket to begin with?
Crushed muscadine grapes went in the fermenter bucket for 9 days and then strained and put in carboy with sugar and yeast. Thanks.

well, does it smell or taste puttied ,
sooo you always wait so long to add yeast and sugars, i take it you have a hydrometer beings you have your SG readings, but the way you seem to go about it is different to say the least,,,
Dawg
What is puttied? What is your procedure?

In VERY broad terms, the usual procedure for red wine* would be:

Crush your grapes, and put in a fermentation bucket.
(optional: some people add some potassium metabisulfite at this stage to inhibit fermentation by native yeasts)
Measure the SG. (If you have the ability, measure the pH.)
Make any adjustments needed. (E.g., add sugar if needed, or adjust the acid.) Starting SG should be 1.080 to 1.100 depending on desired alcohol.
Add wine yeast. (If you added potassium metabisulfite earlier, wait 24 hours before adding yeast.)
As fermentation kicks off, a "cap" of grape skins will form, floating on top. Punch this down (submerge it) daily.
When SG approaches 1.000, transfer wine from bucket to carboy. (You may need to fashion a crude press to do this step.)
Rack the wine off the gross lees after ~3 days.
Allow fermentation to complete in the carboy.

A more detailed description is available here:
MoreManuals! Winemaking Guides | MoreWine

*This broad procedure is for "normal" wine grapes. Muscadines, I understand, have some different characteristics. You can search this site for "Muscadines" using the Search box on the upper right.

Last edited:
In VERY broad terms, the usual procedure for red wine* would be:

Crush your grapes, and put in a fermentation bucket.
(optional: some people add some potassium metabisulfite at this stage to inhibit fermentation by native yeasts)
Measure the SG. (If you have the ability, measure the pH.)
Make any adjustments needed. (E.g., add sugar if needed, or adjust the acid.) Starting SG should be 1.080 to 1.100 depending on desired alcohol.
Add wine yeast. (If you added potassium metabisulfite earlier, wait 24 hours before adding yeast.)
As fermentation kicks off, a "cap" of grape skins will form, floating on top. Punch this down (submerge it) daily.
When SG approaches 1.000, transfer wine from bucket to carboy.
Rack the wine off the gross lees after ~3 days.
Allow fermentation to complete in the carboy.

A more detailed description is available here:
MoreManuals! Winemaking Guides | MoreWine

*This broad procedure is for "normal" wine grapes. Muscadines, I understand, have some different characteristics. You can search this site for "Muscadines" using the Search box on the upper right.

Great link Sour-Grapes! This will help me out as well. I appreciate the input you guys provide.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back