2015 Chilean grapes... woot-woot!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just ordered my 2015 chilean grapes. i'm gonna do an 80/20 cab merlot blend and a straight pinot noir..

these grapes are always great quality and clen from any desbris. sorting them is a pleasure. i just cant wait to get my hands on these grapes again..

Based on the pricing I saw from the place that I ordered, going whole fruit seemed so much more expensive. It was ~$30 for 18 lbs of grapes but ~$56 or a 6 gallon pail of juice. From what I read, you need about 80 lbs of grapes for 5 gallons of juice.

What gives?

I guess I am surprised in the price difference. Clearly you have the ability to make better wine with the grapes over straight juice but with a lot more work. I would have thought the price point would be closer that it is.

You'd think that juice would cost more, since they've already done the crushing and pressing. But yes, fresh grapes are more here too.

Try a bucket of juice + a lug of grapes. That way you get the benefits of the grape contact, but the cost savings of bulk juice.

For what it's worth, I've now done straight juice buckets and then last fall, Juice buckets 5.5gal + 1 lug 36lb. The all juice was pretty good (at least ok) but the batch with the 36lbs added is already a much better wine. I plan on doubling the amount of grapes to 72lbs plus 5.5 gals of juice this fall. Going through a broker out here costs about 55.00/36lb. lug and 80.00/bucket juice so I'm planning on about 190.00 for about 10 gallons of finished wine. Still sounds like a pretty fair price per bottle even with the brokered prices.
Mike

Do all you guys have a press or are you hand pressing and tossing it in with the juice?

Jimmy, I'm still collecting equipment so I used a commercial sized manual potato masher to crush my grapes and my press is homemade. All worked fine. Crusher is next on my list though.
Mike

Since I didn't order any grapes with my buckets and don't even have a homemade press, I guess I need to see what I can do to make the juice better than it is as-is. I have a Cab Sav, a Pinot Noir, and a Pinot Grigio ordered.

For what it's worth, I've now done straight juice buckets and then last fall, Juice buckets 5.5gal + 1 lug 36lb. The all juice was pretty good (at least ok) but the batch with the 36lbs added is already a much better wine. I plan on doubling the amount of grapes to 72lbs plus 5.5 gals of juice this fall. Going through a broker out here costs about 55.00/36lb. lug and 80.00/bucket juice so I'm planning on about 190.00 for about 10 gallons of finished wine. Still sounds like a pretty fair price per bottle even with the brokered prices.
Mike

Why not try a small batch using 100 percent fresh grapes? That may turn out even better then the mix.

Since I didn't order any grapes with my buckets and don't even have a homemade press, I guess I need to see what I can do to make the juice better than it is as-is. I have a Cab Sav, a Pinot Noir, and a Pinot Grigio ordered.

You don't need a press to add, say 18lbs of grapes to a 6 gallon bucket. Put them in a couple paint strainer bags, just like you would a grape skin pack on a kit. When you're done with primary, remove the bag(s) and squeeze the juice out by hand.

John, I thought about that after I wrote, 4 36lb. lugs would come out to about 10 gallons and only cost a little more than adding the bucket. I may just try it this year and be asking for some advice from you come fall.
thanks, Mike

And I may just leave out the grapes for this round since my order is already in and the deadline was today. I imagine they will still produce a good batch worth the $56. Plus another round comes out this fall I would expect so all is not lost. What do you guys think? Will I be disappointed with this decision?

What varietals are you making? If red, you could add Zante currants or elderberries to primary instead of grapes. If white, a juice pail will turn out fine with nothing. All is not lost!

What varietals are you making? If red, you could add Zante currants or elderberries to primary instead of grapes. If white, a juice pail will turn out fine with nothing. All is not lost!

Cab Sav, a Pinot Noir, and a Pinot Grigio

Latest posts

Back