2013 Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinman56

Reaction score
So, after reading pages and pages of wicked good advice from this forum, I finally started my first batch of peach wine. Here's what I have so far:

* 30 lbs of fresh peaches, quartered, pitted, frozen and thawed (had 45 lbs, tragic accident in the basement ended in a sticky mess to clean up and very sad loss of fruit);
* K-meta, 24 hours;
* Pectic enzyme, 24 hours;
* The peaches alone made about 4 gallons of muck at a SG = 1.025, so I added 2 gals of water to bring the must to 6 gallons;
* Added 10 lbs sugar to get the SG to 1.085;
* 5 tbsp of acid blend, to about 6.2%;
* 2 tbsp Bentonite slurry (3 tbsp bentonite in 6 oz hot water, shaken intermitantly for a couple hours)
* 71B-1122 yeast in a starter of nutrient and a little peach juice.
* 2 lbs chopped white raisins

Pitched yeast last night, this morning nice, airy cap forming. I liked Seth's panty hose method for separating the fruit, but I wanted to watch what was going on for this first one, so it's just working in an 8 gallon bucket. From what I've read, I can carefully ladle the must into my big straining bag in my second 8-gallon bucket when primary fermentation is almost done, is that right? Then press the juice out of the bag, let settle another day then syphon the juice into a carboy?

I understand I'll only get somewhere between 2 and 3 gallons of wine from this, I have a couple 3-gallon carboys for secondary. Will post some pics later. Thanks again for all the background from all who post their work.

Last edited:
Suggestion: get a couple of 1 gal carboys. Keep a couple of wine bottles with #2 bungs and airlocks as well. Inevitably you won't end up with multiples of 3 gal; you will end up with 4 or 2 or 2.5.

Maybe someone else will have different advice on straining, but I wouldn't bother ladling, I would just pour it into the bag, let the bag drip drain.

Yeah, I would put the fruit into bags and press them to get any excess juice.. Then rack off of your primary into secondary.

You're right, I do have a couple 1-gallon jugs and various sized wine bottles and bungs, so I should be able to salvage all the liquid.

Any suggestion on when to strain? Or an SG target? I don't need to worry about excessive air contact with pouring it through the bag into another bucket? Seems like punching the cap down is aerating it pretty good several times a day already.

By the way, I forgot to list the 2 lbs of chopped white raisins. When the fermentation was just getting started, the batch smelled like apricots, yum. Now it smells like the sewer, is that normal for peach wine? Most of my experience is kits and apple wine from cider, they don't reek like this one.

It's never normal to have a stinky ferment. It sounds like you have H2S in the wine. This can be due to improper nutrient management. You should always split your nutrient dose into 2 or 3 batches and pitch thruout the ferment before you reach the 50% dry mark. Get some DAP into the ferment right now----regular old yeast nutrient has DAP in it. You have to manage the H2S as soon as it's detected, or else the wine will eventually take on that flavor. Don't add any more nutrient when you get to 50% dry---if the H2S remains, then you'll have to go to Reduless. Do some extra punchdowns of the must to dissipate the H2S.

Odor update - when I got home today, I pulled the lid and it stilled smelled a little bit of sulphur, but not as bad as this morning. I added a tbsp of DAP and gave it a good stir, it smells much more like fermenting fruit and peaches when it's mixed up. SG=1.055, temp is 82F, should I let it cool a bit? Lalvin says the yeast is good 60F-86F.

Turock
I am confused I have read several posts that said expect peach to stink a bit. Mine was different but not especially bad. But then I have a strong (meaning weak) nose.
Are you saying peach should smell about the same as other fruit wines?

I have done two peach wines and both had the smell. First was a gallon only and I dumped it, my second is 6 gallons of al fresh fruit, no water. First racking, there was a light smell of perm solution, yuck. But it has gotten better over time. I guess it could be nutrient related though, because I certainly believe anyone who says they don't have the problem.
I will say that over each racking, this wine is getting better, hardly noticeable now, but sadly it is still there.

I racked mine yesterday at SG=0.998, added 2 more tbsps of Bentonite slurry and degassed. I'm hoping the Bentonite will pull some of the odor out as well as help initial clarifying. It still smells a little funny. I wonder if I overdid the K-meta in the first stage, wouldn't excess SO2 lead to H2S?

Will make an F-pack today, peaches a little scarce up here this time of year. I was also giving it a couple more days to get to dry before adding K-meta and the F-pack.

Dave and others---You should never have a stinky ferment, no matter what the wine is. Our peach ferment smells so nice. The whole winery smells like peaches. Pay a little more attention to nutrient management, and the needs of the culture you're using. For example, Montrachet is a big H2S producer when it gets stressed. So the directions with this culture always warn you about this and to use good nutrient management to prevent the H2S issue.

thinman--if the H2S smell remains, give the wine a dose of Reduless. Yes, if you get over-agressive with meta, you can have a sulfer issue. Yep, the bentonite may help too.

Downwards---Not sure what has caused the perm solution smell. Be sure of using good sanitation techniques. Be sure to sanitize your vats with meta solution--put the lid on and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. The gas from the meta is a big part of sanitizing. When using frozen fruit, be sure you have enough meta on it while it thaws. Biological growth on the fruit can cause problems too.

By the way thinman---a wine like peach should have a cool ferment. Like 68-72 degrees in order to retain the volatiles that contribute to nose and flavor. If the ferment itself is hot but ambient temp is cool, you can add ice bombs to the ferment--frozen water in milk jugs.

everybody has different tastes and different aroma elements they pick up on.
I have made many peach wines, Turock has some great advice. My peach allway has a different odor to it however the last couple batches I have made I have added DAP in a couple different doses and kept my ferment temps down around 70*F or just below with these practices I have noticed the order that I once experienced has diminished greatly.
I know its a little late now but I would recommend blending the peaches with some light white grapes instead of water however the raisins will help.
I also recommend Red Star Cote Des Blancs yeast for peach and a couple of shots of Peach concentrate from Home Winery as an F-Pack.

Duster, my problem would be noticeable by anyone. Definitely not just a taste thing.

I do use k meta as described and I do let it sit with the gas for quite a while though I don't time it. I also am a very prolific home brewer, and no other fruits have this problem. I know I'm not alone in this, I see it on almost every thread that talks about peach wine.
Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure I did something wrong. Just because some others are not having the same problem. I'm leaning towards nutrients, but I used two additions of fermaid k in this last batch, though my notes are unclear how much. I probably followed the schedule I had for a mead I did before.

I think you'll be fine. I would keep it racked off the lees as it clears.

Downwards---Fermaid K should always be used with Go Ferm or Go Ferm Protect, and the second dose pitched at 1/3 sugar depletion. Be sure to follow the directions when using these complex nutrients.

It's sort of a mystery to me why peach seems to be so troublesome for so many winemakers.

Well, I can see I made at least three mistakes. I thawed the fruit completely before adding K-meta. I fermented at ~82-86F (it went fast, like three days). I only added the nutrient to my yeast starter and to the ferment at about SG=1.050. I'll keep going on this one for a few months and see how it goes, but I'll know better for next year. I'll try the Reduless if the odor persists.

Thanks for all the feedback!

thinman---That's good that you were able to define your mistakes. ALWAYS--when thawing fruit---get the meta on it. And when you have alot of poundage, you can layer in the meta along with pectic enzyme. Then you're sure the fruit won't have biological growth which can cause the ferment to be sluggish or completely stuck. The pectic enzyme working ahead of time is a big plus for brix and PH testing.

For next year, you might consider using Lallzyme C-Max instead of regular pectic enzyme. It's recommended for viscous musts and acts much faster to break the fruit down. Also helps in clarification.

That temp is way too hot for peach--reduce ambient temps and if the ferment gets warm, use ice bombs. Prepare the ice ahead of time, just in case.

Add nutrient at beginning and then again before 50% sugar depletion.

Don't wait too long to deal with the H2S issue or else you'll start forming mercaptans.

Well, after four more rackings and a couple bentonite additions, this peach wine is still hazy, and the lees appear to be just the last bentonite addition. I'll try another clarifier and see how it goes. Somehow between the F-pack and rinsing back at the beginning fruit, the batch swelled to almost 5 gallons, and it's a little thin and un-remarkable as a result. But, it does taste better and it doesn't stink anymore! Acid is right at 6%, my first reaction when tasting it was a little more acid would give it a little more flavor, but after a few sips I'm not sure if that'd just make it more 'tart'.

I read conflicting stuff on fining agents. Some say Bentonite will strip flavor from white fruit wines and use Sparkalloid, but Sparkelloid needs to be filtered out, and I don't own a good filter (yet). Too late for Kieselsol - Chitin?

P1020723.jpg

Too late for Kieselsol - Chitin?

why is it too late. you can add super kleer after bentonite...rack off the bentonite and use super kleer, ,,,, Kieselsol - Chitin

Back