2013 Fermentations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwhiskers

Reaction score
I started an Ocean Spray Cranberry wine last Sunday and it was down to 1012 last night so I will rack into secondary tonight.

I stopped by my LHBS this week and picked up a second primary bucket. I will be starting a batch of blueberry pomegranate and a batch of dried elderberry this weekend. Most of my carboys are empty and I need to get caught up.:ft

I only ferment things I grow. That is my schtick. So far my only 2013 wine is a 1 gal batch of Banana Flower. But the lilacs are about to bloom so I'll be starting 1 gal batch of lilac wine. Also, I'm going to try a completely new one, Abelia wine (from A. mosanensis). Also gonna try lavender, blackberry, and lemongrass.

:h

I have a batch of blue-pom I just racked off the lees. It is going to be very good.
I used frozen blueberry's and 1 gal of just pom juice.
Are you using the frozen concentrate?

I did the blueberry pomegranate from juice since I couldn't find the concentrate, it is my first go on it.

My cranberry really turned out to be a big hit last year so I will have to get another batch started next month. To keep it real here's a picture of the cranberry, OG 1100. I was going to rack to secondary tonight but I started the blueberry pomegranate instead, I will rack it in the morning.

20130423_175247.jpg

Well a little behind on the cranberry, we had a death in the family and it kind of occupied the weekend. The cranberry has been slowly crawling down from 1010 to 1000, hopefully it finishes after I rack it into a carboy.

The blueberry pomegranate is steaming along at 1034. By the weekend I hope to have them racked to secondary so I can get the dried elderberry started and I guess another cranberry since last years went over so well. I still need to squeeze in a skeeter pee with half the lemon juice and half of something else, the normal recipe got me on the heartburn.

I only have six of the 6-gallon carboys to work with so I've been thinking of adding four more for aging/production flexibility. I'm really glad I added the second primary so that I can speed the process up some.

I started an Ocean Spray Cranberry wine last Sunday and it was down to 1012 last night so I will rack into secondary tonight.

I stopped by my LHBS this week and picked up a second primary bucket. I will be starting a batch of blueberry pomegranate and a batch of dried elderberry this weekend. Most of my carboys are empty and I need to get caught up.:ft

Oldwhiskers, How did you backsweeten your cranberry wine, and what were the quanities. I have a cranberry wine ready to back sweeten. Any help appreciated. Bakervinyard

In case any ones answer will do...

I sweeten my cranberry wines with fruit juice concentrates. If still very tart I use welches 100% grape juice. It mellowes it just a tad. If not overly tart I like the welches 100% white grape and rasberry. Agave and honey work as well, a bit mellowing and added mouthfeel. I can't drink the simple syrup made with cane suger, so I can only guess on how that works. Probely a bit sharper/crisper on the cranberry flavor then the other sweetners.

Oldwhiskers, How did you backsweeten your cranberry wine, and what were the quanities. I have a cranberry wine ready to back sweeten. Any help appreciated. Bakervinyard

I only made two batches last year and I sweetened the first with cranberry concentrate to 1010 and the second with simple syrup to 1012. Overall I think I liked the one sweetened with simple syrup the best, I know they were a hit with everyone else.

At the point I sweetened them it was between two and three cans of concentrate for the first one and about 3-1/2 cups of sugar on the second one. These are approximations, the hydrometer is the ruler to follow.

When sweetening with simple syrup there is no clouding of a clear wine whereas some additional clearing may be required with the concentrate.

Last edited:
Well the blueberry pomegranate was down to 1012 so I put it under airlock until I can rack it to secondary this weekend.

Looks like I will need to pick up a stainless pot to use to start my elderberry, just cant bring myself to pour boiling water into primary since food grade plastic is not rated for those temps.

Jensmith, your input is appreciated also. oldwhiskers, thanks. I back sweetened using 1 can of concentrate, 1 can of concentrate simmered down and 12 ozs. of simple syrup. I think it tasted good. How long did you age it before drinking it ? BTW as I was sampling the different combinations of back sweetening I got a good buzz. LOL. Bakervinyard

bakervinyard, it was about 5 months old when we started hitting it, very tasty.

I just racked my first batch this year into secondary, had to taste it and it has a good flavor so far. Now to get my elderberry started this weekend now that I have a primary open. :h

Well, it's been busy today. I got my blueberry pomegranate racked into secondary and the clean up afterwards. Took a small sample and first impression is that I will have to backsweeten with some concentrate, so now I will have to chase down a Whole Foods and see if they have it since no one else did.

Then i went to wally world and got a nice 22-quart stainless steel stock pot (and expensive to) to use with fruits in my winemaking and got started on my dried elderberry wine. Everything is cooling down now and then I can add the k-meta later on. I know people have been talking about adding marbles and such for weights, and I had been trying to decide what to use to weigh down the straining bag to keep it off the surface and it hit me, just use a quart mason jar in the straining bag. It doesn't displace much and seemed heavy enough, so far it's holding the straining bag under the must. I got a taste of just the elderberry juice and it tasted pretty good. It smells a little tannic now, this will be a dried elderberry and red grape wine. I'll get the k-meta in tonight, the pectic enzyme in early in the morning and pitch the yeast tomorrow night. I may just make an elderberry only wine, berry flavors are my favorites.

I am contemplating pulling the straining bag out after 3-days of fermentation and starting an elderberry and white grape rosé with it.

Well I did a yeast starter for my elderberry wine and the yeast loved the must when I added some to the starter and really started foaming up. I decided to let the elderberries stay in and ferment down 1010 and then pull them and dispose of them. I really have my hopes up on this one from the early taste test on the must.

The elderberry is steaming along well even with the cool must temps, but wish the foam was a little less. I'm learning a few things since this is my first batch with any kind of fruit in the primary, at least it is a little easier since the amount of fruit is relatively small.

Well I flip-flopped, I went ahead and pulled the elderberries out of the primary after fermenting on them for three days and used them to start an elderberry rose. I will pitch the yeast on this tonight on this.

The elderberry rose (phone won't let me spell it correctly) got started good and the original dried elderberry should be ready to rack to secondary this weekdnd.

Racked the dried elderberry to secondary Sunday SG 1012, the yeast is still working steady. I have not been fermenting in the winter but the small amount left after racking I filled a quart jar with and capped it. With the jar in the bottom of the fridge for three days, it is still fermenting. This was a suprise to me at the low temps, but you can see the bubbles rising and it's pressurizing the jar.

Well yesterday was a wine workday for sure. I racked and degassed two batches of wine and removed the elderberries from another batch. Then it was cleanup time, I cleaned the racking equipment and carboys and then cleaned and delabeled a tree full of bottles that were delivered to me recently. A very busy day for sure and I was definitely glad when I got to the end of the bottles. :D

Thought I would give the Super-Kleer a shot in my batch of cranberry so I treated it last night and this morning it is definitely clear and I can see completely through the carboy. I'm impressed, it passes the flashlight test too.

I think my next batches will be a repeat of the cranberry, dried elderberry, elderberry rosé. I will also start an apple which I have been making a lot of before but have not started any yet this year. I am also looking at doing a smaller batch of mead and two batches of the Dragon's Blood.

Back