2012 batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnelson

Junior
Reaction score
Made a batch of 2012 cab-syrah-mouvedre. Almost 2 years in the barrel. Wine still seems to have an "edge" to the taste. Not as smooth as I would have liked. May be time for a new barrel? The barrel has about 6 uses. Didn't use malolactic culture. I'm told that most wines go through this naturally anyway....true? I live in NJ, is there a place where a sample can be sent and analyzed?
Tom

seems to me the smoothness you are looking for is the result of malo-lactic fermentation (MLF). you make no mention of this. in this process, malict acid (rather sharp) is converted to lactic acid (rather soft).

do you know how much k-meta you have added to your wine? the ppm of free SO2 would be even better....

You can do a MLF chromotography test to verify if MLF has happened. If it has not, you can get yourself a culture and some ml nutrient and get her on her way.

Agree with John and Seth. If you're going to initiate a malolactic fermentation though, your ppm of SO2 needs to be low (I think that's why John was asking if you know it).

Ill check the so2....haven't added it since the orig racking in 2012. What if I add the culture and it doesn't go? Right now I have my wine in 5 gal carboys. Maybe I can benchmark one with the culture?

Side note - I think 2 years is a long time to go between SO2 testing / adding. You probably have zero free SO2. I test about quarterly.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back