2011 Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have picked and frozen 20+ of Muscadines(Ison)that will soon become 5 gal. of wine(Waldo style). These seem early, but they are good. I also have access to white ones. They are starting to ripen. Have several wines clearing..Blackberry, Peach,Mayhaw,Red Grape,Mulberry,Blackberry(Port Style),2010 Muscadine.

I called the vineyard in Sebring Fl (Between the glades and central)and she said Nobles werent ready yet maybe next week.

What is the name of the vineyard. My parents have their winter home about a mile outside of Sebring. I love that area of FL, the orange groves are wonderful smelling.

Pete

It's called the "Grapes of Kath" Vineyard but there are 5 mom and pop vineyards in Sebring last I looked.I'm in Haines City and the orange blossums rule the month of May. The whole county smells of it. Wonderful at first but the pollen count drives you indoors after a while.

Luckily I have never been bothered by the orange pollen. My parents have numerous varieties of citrus growing but never enough that I get any shipped to me...lol

Pete

just picked 20# of welder (small) scuppernongs and froze, near the FL/AL border. Willneed another 16# next week when ripen, will crush those at the vineyard and start my 5 gal batch.Don't know whether to go sweet or dry with some oak this year or how much tannin to add.Usually can'tbulk age longer than 6months before bottling, thenmaybe another3 months.

Cajun Wine Man, where do you get your mayhaws. I've been dying to they using them for wine since I read about them a few years back but can never seem to find any commercialy. Just jellys and such.

Pete

Pete: I get mine locally (1.5 hr. drive). I buy the frozen juice ($13.00/gal) from James Eaves (pres. of Louisiana Mayhaw Ass.). If you do a search on LMA. It will give a listing of suppliers, and phone nos.. On shipping to NY ????. It does make a good wine. Another option is if someonewho makes it would send you a bottle.

Both awesome ideas ! I found out about mayhaws by doing a little research on hawthorn berries. As my stock is extremely low at present a trade may be in order as soon as I get my stock up.

Pete

Latest posts

Back