2010 Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I know I posted this in another thread but ill never be able to follow up there so.... The first pic is crushing time on Sat. 18th. I crushed and immediately pressed with no setting time as Im going for extreme fruitiness on this batch with little tannins.
the next pic is Monday night of the 20th. The primary is in my wine cellar at 66* with Cotes Des Blanc and wit that yeast at that temp its pretty darn active although I didnt take a wine temp, Ill do that tomorrow.

Picture 004.jpg

Picture.jpg

Got any updates yet on this batch? I had to cut out all grape purchases this year because of remodeling expenses. I'm feeling like I'm missing out on the real "crush" this year.

Wade,

How on earth did you get your crushed juice so clear??? I can see all the way to the bottom of your pail. Did you do a settle/rack before taking the picture?

Put the grapes in a mesh bag and press them.

My chardonel and seyval turned out the same way - that Cotes Des Blanc yeast did wonderful.

They both have wonderful fruity aromas to the nose and palate.

Your chardonnay should turn out awesome - i love a good chardonnay.

Your grapes look good - what was the brix and acid levels of the grapes?

Are you planning on oaking?

Another stupid question, are Thompson Seedless grapes, like you see in Walmart, a generic term for any white grape. where did you get those grapes? bk

Another stupid question, are Thompson Seedless grapes, like you see in Walmart, a generic term for any white grape. where did you get those grapes? bk

Thompson Seedless is a specific grape.

These are a specific variety of "table" grape, not generally thought of as a wine grape. (You can make wine out of most any fruit, even these, but it likely won't turn out to be great wine.)

Thomson Seedless (as with most large grapes) are meant to be eaten and not turned into wine.

Robie, I agree with you. Thompson seedless never has the acid level or sugar level to produce a good wine. But if you were to add in the appropriate amounts of acid and sugar to the jioce, the results can be surprisingly good.

I just was approched by a beginner that bought Thompson Seedless because they were so cheap. He did not know enough to test the acid or sugar level. What a disaster!!!

Back