#2 stopper with 2 holes for vac tank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to pick one up at the local auto parts store to use on our next kit which is to arrive from FVW on thursday.

Worth every penny just looking at the dial and knowing youve done a good job.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one would love to see a step-by-step tutorial with pics on using this. I know there are a lot of pictures already posted, but if someone could add to them and group them in the tutorial section along with some more details, such as how long and what you are looking for as far as gage readings and tank reactoins. I think this would be fantastic and a great help for someone who is brand new to this.

I will do this if someone doesnt beat me to it. i have an Amarone in primary now so it wont happen for about 2 weeks. Mississippi mud, as long as youre not on the lees you can do it, if you are still on the lees then it will disturb them by pulling gas from the bottom of the carboy which in turn will lift up some lees. Basically, once you have a stable SG, you want to add sorbate and k-meta to stable wine, stir with drill mounted mix stir if you have 1 or big spoon. The you degas by attaching fitting to brake bleeder and inserting it into bung. Start pumping the bleeder until you get to around 15" of vacuum on the gauge and then slowly keep going as the gas will start being pulled up fast at this point. It will drop down for quite awhile if this is not a RJS kit as those kits have you ferment to dry (except the grape skin kits which i still do this way anyway) in the primary which really helps you get rid of most of the gas this way. I basicall get the vacuum built up to around 22" and let it sit for awhile then check in on it an hour later and pump it up back to 22" Eventually it will stay at or around 22'-25" and when it does your done.

thanks for the info. but I tried it before you posted and it will pull lees of the bottom. It was a noir so i didn't see it until it was at the top and to late.I only seen 3 peices and then i hit the emergency reLEES
smiley36.gif
valve .Have I ruined the wine?

No, youll just have to wait until they all drop, might have to give it another few days now.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I had my vac on and tried to clear while holding vac and had a reverse clearing. All the sediment was at the top of the must! I had to pull the vac off and rock the carboy every day until it all fell down.
Edited by: wade

After his initial strike out, Wade has mastered the world of vacumn degassing. He has gotten so good that he doesn't even need beano when he eats Grandma Brown Best!

appleman said:
Grandma Brown Best!

Apple: Do you know that Grandma browns is a local thing? I love them, I feel bad for all the folks that can't get them.

When we go to NY, a few huge cans of them and a few pounds (15 or so) of coney's, Hoffman's (only!!!!! Another local thing) always comes back with us. When my Brother passed away in NY a few years ago, he left me a can of Grandma Browns Baked Beans....... As kids, they were our favorite and.......well......... you could imagine what our bedroom was like the next evening...........
smiley11.gif

My wife makes them with her mother recipe then bakes them.............. I love them cold, mix a little vinegar with them on a sandwich......... Yummmmm........

Thanks for the memories...... sorry for getting off topic.

That's quite the item to be left in a will! He must have been a real hoot to be around. We remember the ones we love in the most unusual ways!

P.S. The sheets float the same night I eat them and then again the next day when the wife kicks in!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back