#2 stopper with 2 holes for vac tank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeApe

Reaction score
I'monboard with the vacuum degassing and bought a brake bleeder. I'm concerned that the volume of airspace ina topped up carboy will not be very effective, so I was thinking of using a 1500 ml bottle as a vacuumtank.

So I would connect a vac hose from the carboy bungto one side of a #2 stopper that is in the 1500 ml bottle and have another hose out of the bottle to the vac pump. This will provide a larger volume to draw on.

Is this a valid idea? If so, anyone know where I can find a #2 stopper with 2 drilled holes? The lab supply houses carry them, but only sell in bulk lots of 100+.

Thanks!

GrapeApe.

Thanks Masta. I opened the vac pumpkit and it actually came with a T, so I can use the single hole stopper that George sells.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4608

For those thinking about using the vacuum degassing method - I am amazed at how much gas it pulled out. My forearms got a workout from pumping the vacuum pump.

BTW, here's the link to the pump I got. It's an all metal body and seems to have all of the adapters you'll need. For $17, it seems like a good buy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92474

Good luck!

GrapeApe.

I'm really intersted in trying a brake bleeder, would someone post some pictures, so I could see the set up????

Here is my Bleeder. The 2nd picture is me getting ready to insert the tip into the bung.

20070529_162404_Picture_001.jpg

20070529_162441_Picture_002.jpg

Thanks wade... How long do you leave the bleeder on???? Are we talking Days, weeks, hours?????Edited by: kutya

It all depends on the wine. There have been a few that I had to use it
for a period of 2 days and the Watermelon kit I did yesterday was done
in 30 minutes. When using it start off pumping slowly until you reach a
- pressure of 10-15 and watch out for the rise of bubbles initially
then keep pumping it up occasionally until you can hold about 15-20
in's. You will notice that the small bubbles are not being pulled up
anymore and that bigger bubbles will rise when pumped up to 20-25. Do
not exceed 25 as this is the safe # for carboys and thats about all the
vacuum that these will hold anyway.

We will be demonstrating one of these at Winestock. I wish I could get them for resale, but I could not compete on the price.

George I cant speak for everyone but i would spend a few more dollars
to include one in a shipment from you over getting it though Northern
Tool or going to my local auto parts store where I get ignored for a
phone call, but I understand if you dont think its worthh a few dollars
to carry them. Personally, I would pay 3$ more to get it from you.

I can't find a place to buy them any cheaper than you can. By the time I add in shipping to get them to me, I would be lucky to break even at $20. I would rather have you save the $3 bucks for more wine related purchases.

Have you seen any other home wine making supply store sell them?

Here's a picture of the setup I'm now using. Basically out of the carboybung the tube goes into a T and into a #2 stopper (George sells these for 49 cents, p/n is 4608) then the other side of the T goes to the pump.

The reason I added the 750ml bottle in there is to provide more volume to a topped up carboy. It's not a requirement, but it should give you a break between pumpings.

I'm actually looking forward to de-gassing the Stags Leap Merlot sitting next to the pinot gris batch that is now officially degassed.

20070531_181022_IMG_4343.JPG

GrapeApe

I finally got the brake bleeder hooked up this weekend, I had a peach that I have been bulk aging for a while. I thought it was degased, when I hooked the brake bleeder up I couldn't belive the bubbles that were coming out of that thing.... Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm now sold on this little tool...

I also tried it for the first time yesterday and was surprised at the amount of bubbling (even after killing 2 batteries on my cordless drill over 45 minutes to get to the point of no more bubbles/foam!). Anyone have any pictures of what the bubbles typically look like at the various stages (first time after the stir/mixstir method at 10in, then at 15in when bubbles are still present, then holding at 15in)?

Well I have a picture at first starting to degass and put it today for
you to see the much bigger bubbles when it is degassed. By the way, I
just tried another fitting that came with the mityvac and it worked way
better. It looks somewhat like a little rubber suction cup instead of
the plastic fitting that I have been using, you just stick it inside
the silcone multisize bung. Will post picture of this to. It seems to
hold a vac. MUCH better.

1st pic is of starting to degas. 2nd is today and the pics dont do it justice as the bubbles are much bigger.

20070611_163314_small_bubbles_M.jpg

20070611_163410_Big_bubbles.jpg

20070611_163535_suction.jpg

Well worth the money........ I would get one if I were you, wouldn't degas without one myself.

I cut the carboy end of my stirer off soIcould attach it to my drill.it performed alot better than my hand but nothing like wade's vac pump.This forumhas the best info.....

Back