Cellar Craft 1st Time Bottling!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaggz

Taking Baby Steps
Reaction score
First off, a huge thank you to everyone on this site for all the tips, tricks, advice, articles & etc! It is because of what we've read here that we had the confidence to even try this! And in usual form for us, we jumped head first into wine-making. So today we bottled the very first kit that we started, over a year ago - a CC Yakima Valley Chardonnay. Though we aren't much for whites, we figured if we screwed something up, our feelings wouldn't be hurt too bad. To our surprise, is smells wonderful, and doesn't taste half bad either! We let this bulk age for a year....and tomorrow we will bottle year old, Amarone & Syrah kits...with one more aging, Cabernet-Shiraz! So, for the first time making wine, filtering wine, and bottling wine, I'd say we are hooked...one kit bottled means one carboy is empty - time to head to finevinewines! :db

Jake~

chardonnay-web.jpg

They look awesome, and might I say...CONGRATS on waiting a year before bottling them!!! I am extremely impressed!
I recommend waiting a few weeks after bottling before you start sharing them, I've found that after a few weeks in the bottle the wine is a lot better than right after bottling, it may be due to bottle shock, or just me being too picky...lol...either way, try a bottle now, and one in a week or so and let me know if you taste a difference.

Congrats and back pats all around.

In September you can get juice and save a lot of money as opposed on using kits. It's addicting. Once you start you can't stop.

Enjoy. .

Thanks guys - we are really stoked about these! We had 1/2 bottle from being full that we were planning on enjoying tonight - the rest will rest for a couple weeks before we give someone else a shot at these! I'm really excited about the reds that we're planning on bottling tomorrow. I would love to give some juice pails a try - I just feel like I have a lot more to learn & would love to pick-up a barrel or two as well!

The bottles look great. I really admire your patience and willpower in being able to let your first wines sit a year before even bottling. That's impressive! You will be rewarded for it.

The bottles look great. I really admire your patience and willpower in being able to let your first wines sit a year before even bottling. That's impressive! You will be rewarded for it.
Oh man - I really hope so! I was afraid of the wife tasting something far less quality than store bought & tossing this hobby out the window!

Oh man - I really hope so! I was afraid of the wife tasting something far less quality than store bought & tossing this hobby out the window!

These may not be $50 wines, but the taste far outweighs the expense. I think a lot of the high end kits would do quite well stacked up against many commercial wines in the $20-$25 range - especially with a minor tweak or two.

These may not be $50 wines, but the taste far outweighs the expense. I think a lot of the high end kits would do quite well stacked up against many commercial wines in the $20-$25 range - especially with a minor tweak or two.

I'm great with that - most of what we've been buying lately is around the $15 mark. Though with each great bottle we drink, makes it tougher to go back to those more "economical" wines :)

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks guys - we are really stoked about these! We had 1/2 bottle from being full that we were planning on enjoying tonight - the rest will rest for a couple weeks before we give someone else a shot at these! I'm really excited about the reds that we're planning on bottling tomorrow. I would love to give some juice pails a try - I just feel like I have a lot more to learn & would love to pick-up a barrel or two as well!

ya know we will be expecting a pic of those as well:dg

More photos to come of tomorrow's bottling - I promise :)

Any input on wine fill level in these bottles - just right/not enough/too much?!? I wasn't quite certain, so I looked at the video posted on finevinewines, and if I recall, I think he stated fill just until the neck of the bottle is reached.

mighty fine looking batch. The center soldier in the picture has the proper level. I shoot for ~1/4 in into the neck.

BC

They look great, congrats!! I use a Ferrari auto filler to get the fill level to be consistent from bottle to bottle.
Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Thanks all! We're really pleased with the very first kit that we've ever done! Now...the reds, that's a whole other story!

Those are beautiful!. I really admire your ability to wait an entire year before bottling. I haven't been able to go more than 3 months.

Congrats, really nice job. Looks like you really have the patience to wait one year to bottle your wine, my admirations for that.

Back