1st bottling question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem1

Reaction score
I hope to bottle my 1st wine tomorrow,a kit mist wine. After ferminting 14 days I racked it into a sanitized 6gal. carboy. Added chemicals & degassed. It has been sitting in a closet with a airlock on.

This eveving I carefully moved the carboy to a counter top to rack into my primary fermenter. The carboy has some white stuff floating on the surface . Not much but some with this white stuff on the carboys neck. Is this normal?

I plan to rack into primary fermenter tomorrow & bottle it. Does this sound ok or should i be concerned ?

Started kit 1/06/08. Racked into carboy 1/20/08

Sounds like k-meta that was not dissolved into wine. id you use a drill mounted stirrer or do this by hand. If done by hand I think its k-meta not properly stirred in. If drill mixed the it might be wine flowers but that usually results from poor sanitary conditions and lack of S02. Please tell more and post picture if possible.

Thanks for the feedback:
I did use a drill mounted stirrer (stainless steel type) & ran both batteries down on drill. However, I did over do it while de gassing & had a mini tonado that overflowed a small amount of wine. Most of the white stuff is on the inside carboy neck. It looks like wet spider webs. While moving it some got onto the surface of the win & started floating to the bottom. A small amount is floating on the surface (2 inches below airlock) it looks like small bubbles are holding it up.
Would post a picture but my daughter has our camera. I should have it back tomorrow & will try to post a picture.

I crush the k-meta with 2 spoons before i add. Then use the whip degasser to degass as well as mix up the k-meta and sorbate. I was worried the first time i used the degasser it was pushed through a bung i used it and had white floaties on the top of my wine from where the degasser meets the bung small pieces of plastic fell off it into the jug. there were only a couple pieces but i noticed them the following day and thought something might be wrong with the wine.

Rem, this might be kind of late, but this sounds exactly what I was dealing with a a year ago. How tight was thebung when you removed it? If the neck or bung was wet when it was installed they can work themselves loose. After soaking mine, I roll them on a paper towel dampened with solution. I think I posted some pics here, though it is hard to get good pics of what is inside the carboy. I, like yourself and everyone here, hope it was just pieces of tablets. From what you describe however, it sounds like textbookflowers of wine, and brought on by contact with air/aerobic environment. I think you already did the best thing you could, rack and hopefully sulfite. If caught early, which you did, it shouldn't harm it at all, and might actually mellow it out earlier.Swish and drain someK or Na meta soultion through your carboy prior to rack reportedly also helps keeps it at bay, though the best defense is a tight/filled airlock and filled carboys.

Latest posts

Back