1st batch - yeast flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodiac

Junior
Reaction score
Well, my first batch of Blackberry which began on 1/13/13 has been in bottles for about 2 weeks now. We tasted a bottle last night and the berry flavor is really good; however, there is a trace amount of yeast flavor. I'm sure that we racked the wine at least four times and it was at the correct SG for 3 days before we degas, cleared and racked once again prior to bottling. Not sure if this is normal and will subside over time in the bottle?

I'm working on my second batch now - Pomegranate - hoping to eliminate some of the yeast taste. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that -- getting ready to start a third batch very shortly - going to be my first cab aged in oak barrel which is on the way.

Watch the bottles to see if sediment forms in them. If it doesn't, that yeast flavor will likely dissipate over time.

I checked and there is no sediment in any of the bottles. I'm hoping that time will tell. Any other suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks again...

It's WAY young.. Surprised its in bottles already

The yeast flavor should subside & because its a big enough worry for you to start this thread, im betting you'll see some sediment in time, even if the bottles appear cleared right now - you're probably tasting it because there's still yeast in suspension

It's only the first of a few funky flavors you'll see it go through, being this young

It would subside over time in the carboy. I'd rather let that happen and leave the yeast in the carboy than to bottle it.

Did you fine it at all? If you tasted yeast, this is because there is still yeast in there.
Time or Fining will do the trick.

Latest posts

Back