WineXpert 1st attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem with that plan is that he will then rack to the 6.5 gal for the final clarifying, so he will have to top up a bunch at that point. I would do it the other way around, or buy another carboy.

I see your problem (I was at work and probably didn't read your first post thoroughly when I responded). What I would do is rack to the 6, finish fermentation, stabilize and rest, then after a couple weeks rack to the 6 1/2 just to rinse the 6. After rinsing, I'd return it to the 6 to age. Ultimately, as you suggest, JD, everybody needs more than one carboy (and when you're doing wine, a 6 1/2 probably doesn't count). I consider myself carboy poor, but I have three 5's, five 6's and a 6 1/2.

Jim

I emailed WE and asked about transfering the secondary after about 10 days and then adding clarifier and stabilizer and degass. They said yes. My kit has the crushed grapes and that is the reason for the step. On their other kits you would not do the extra rack.

My kit has the crushed grapes and that is the reason for the step. On their other kits you would not do the extra rack.

Ahh.. sorry confused this with the Estate series kit from another thread. I haven't done any of the Crushendo kits myself. Good to know. Let us know what you think of it in a year!

I now have 4 6 gal carboys and 1 6.5 gal carboy that I only use for "bottling day" when I do one last racking to make sure my bottles are perfectly clear. I didn't know it was a 6.5 when I bought it. I need a couple more 6 gals to put my production where it needs to be :h

Well I racked the wine for clearing and stabilising step last week. Added the stabilisers and clarifiers, degassed with drill and paddle stirrer. All went well. I will be ready to rack again in a few days. Should I degass one more time or not. It is not mentioned in the directions.

Well I racked the wine for clearing and stabilising step last week. Added the stabilisers and clarifiers, degassed with drill and paddle stirrer. All went well. I will be ready to rack again in a few days. Should I degass one more time or not. It is not mentioned in the directions.

What were the temps when you degassed? and how long did you run the drill?

at 75 degrees - you should only need to run the drill about 3 times - 3-5 min each time.

I would wait more than a week after adding clairifiers even to a kit wine.

Yeah - there have been posts on this forum where folks bottled according to the kit instructions and ended up with sediment in the bottles.

My policy now is to wait until it looks ready to bottle (anywhere from two week to two months after clarifier), then rack one last time and use the "suction tool" to make sure there is no gas. Wait at least one more week (sometimes more like another month, if I don't need the carboy), and then bottle. I don't like any sediment in my bottles!

Ok I can wait, I just want to know that it is ok to leave wine sit on clairifier more than 8 days, thats what the directions say. I dont want sediment in the bottles either. Thank you guys for the tips.

Back