Cellar Craft 12L OVZ Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrancis80

Junior
Reaction score
Anybody know the yeast used in the 12L Old Vine Zin kit? I started one yesterday and it has been 30 hours and no activity whatsoever. I threw away the yeast package and hopefully will not have to dig through the trash if somebody out there knows. Couldn't find anything on their website. Have only done WE kits before and always had activity within 24 hours. Thanks, Dan

Most kits start with EC1118. Call George and he should be able to tell you for sure. Until then stir really well and listen to the wine, of its started you may hear a popping sound or see a light bubbling on the surface.
VC

I sprinkled the yeast on top per instructions. They do mention rehydrating as an option. I have done 19 kits prior to this one and never had a problem with the "sprinkle" method. I still am getting next to no activity in the air lock. Just stirred it and will go to the wine store for new yeast. I got the kit within the last 3 weeks but will try to figure out the date. I am new to CC kits, so will search this site to decifer date code. Thanks, Dan

Just figured out the date Jan 28 2009. And the yeast was pitched when the juice was 70 degrees and that temp has been maintained. Maybe the yeast was older than the kit (probably) and was no longer any good.

Thanks again, Dan

Could be some old yeast. I always use the rehydrate method. Just make sure your temp is not over 109 or you could kill them before you pitch them.

Repitched new yeast yesterday. Active fermentation this morning. I sure hope this wine isn't ruined. I dug through the trash and recovered the original yeast package. Looking in the bottom of the package there is dark brown yeast caked to the bottom. I do remembernoticing the yeast package was pretty beat up but never looked at the bottom of package after pitching. The yeast I poured out appeared normal.

Anybody familiar with Cellar Craft customer service if this wine does turn out badly? I have read on the forums that Winexpert is very responsive in these circumstances.

Dan

It should turn out just fine. Bad yeast happens.

If anything goes wrong, contact George first and talk with him.

Back