100 gallons wine made per year

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefani

Twitter: @John_A_Stefani
Reaction score
For households in most areas in the USA, a single adult household can make up 100 gallons per year and two or more adults in a household can make up to 200 gallons per year.

Is it considered wine made after fermentation of at the point of bottling?

Has any amateur winemakers on this board made 100 gallons in a year or even 200 gallons in a year?

Up to this point I have only made 42 gallons in a year.

Earlier today I was musing with my wife on the possibility to make 100 gallons in a year. Our thoughts came up getting enough bottles, storage of aging and finished wines, acquiring fruits and grapes, then to the timing of the use of the our wine making equipment to maximize its use to make 16 to 20 batches of wine in a 12 month period.

As for the storage of the finished wine bottles, I was thinking the use friends homes could be used and these friends could also supply me with empty bottles. The acquiring of fruits and grapes I would hope to have supplied by some friends who have gardens, farms or have fruit trees. The only issue I can see is the timing of the use if the equipment.

Any thoughts on this muse?

Last edited:
There are several of us that make close to the legal limit. I believe the limit applies to the amount you bottle. My inventory of corked wine fluctuates between 1000 and 1500 bottles alone in addition to what I make or have aging.

Our first year (11/12-11/13) Spousal unit and I made 150 gallons. We'll probably make fewer gallons this year but not by much. Don't underestimate the delight of aging a bottle for a year or more. We've found that a 500 bottle rotation works well for us. Certain kits require longer aging, dragon's blood and skeeter pee drink much quicker. We tend to fire off two 6 gal kits/batches every 4-6 weeks.

BC

There are several of us that make close to the legal limit. I believe the limit applies to the amount you bottle. My inventory of corked wine fluctuates between 1000 and 1500 bottles alone in addition to what I make or have aging.

I've also wondered when exactly they call it "made". If it's at the point of beginning, then I have a lot that could be counted in last year. If it's at bottling, I'll be close to 200 gal a lot closer than I want to this year.

Also if it's counted at bottling.... I'mma just stick a big straw in my demijohn fulla blackberry DB. :)

I make 200 gallons every year. My wife and I will easily drink a bottle each night. That's 365 X 2 = 730 bottles. Mind you, this is usually an 8% ABV Dragon Blood or something similar. She likes her "mist wines". The good stuff is saved for better/occasional occasions. Give away a couple of hundred, and there's your thousand bottles.

Yes, Gina, my wife has also mentioned using a large straw. :br

View attachment 15228. My mother, after spending a day with her relitives. She really needed a drink!

I had to tape two long straws together, but it worked great!

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Was the top straw an ini or an outi or were the two straws simply butt joined and taped?
smilie.gif

One straw was one of those biger frozen drink straws. The other one was a normel straw stuck inside the bigger one and taped. I don't remember for sure, but as clutzy as Mother is I had to make it fool proof:).

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

So 200 with 2 adults? Looks like a good goal to shoot for this year lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have been wondering for years "how DO you count 200 gallons a year." Some years we make close to that, if you count what we bottled that year & what we have in carboy inventory. Anyone know? R&D

I've read somewhere that it's must until you pitch the yeast and then it's wine. But there are probably a few working definitions. In this instance, I think you would want the BATF definition of when it's wine or what constitutes making wine.

If you made a batch that went bad, i.e. my failed Skeeter Pee, A.K.A. Lemon Vinegar, A.K.A. awesome house cleaner (check my sparkling clean toilets) ... does that still count?

Stupid question, if you have different girls over, do they allow you to go to 200 gallons? Do I need them 4 nights a week to double production?

I went to the BATF web site and tried to figure out what they mean when they say "made". I gave up, but I came to the general impression, based on when you have to pay the tax, that is what is important. And from what I could tell you pay the tax when you bottle, so I believe (and I am not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV) "made" means bottled.

Stupid question, if you have different girls over, do they allow you to go to 200 gallons? Do I need them 4 nights a week to double production?

Hahahaha! Priceless!

Latest posts

Back