1 week foam gone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmik

Junior
Reaction score
Newbie Here. Making 1st batch and im 1 week in and all foam is gone from the top. Is this normal?? Airlock is bouncing up and down so i can see fermentation is still taking place. Making red wine so its dark and cant see bubbles

Visual signs of fermentation mean very little. Get a hydrometer then you will know what is happening.

Bubbles in the air-lock only mean that CO2 is out gassing. They do not mean that fermentation is continuing.

Depending on the recipe, temperature, etc, fermentation could easily be finished after one week.

Steve

hydrometer

Ok hydrometer reading is 1.044 does this mean fermenting is done? I started the must with 5lbs of sugar in 5 gal carboy.

What was the starting sg and what yeast did youy use? What temp have you been keeping it at? Your sg really should be around 1.000 or less unless this is an Ice wine or Port kit.

Yeast

What was the starting sg and what yeast did youy use? What temp have you been keeping it at? Your sg really should be around 1.000 or less unless this is an Ice wine or Port kit.

I didnt have a hydrometer when i made the must. I used lavin ec-1118 yeast and 10 cans of 100% grape juice red. @ 70 deg

Latest posts

Back