1 gal wine jugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaluba

Reaction score
I was at the store earlier an noticed the big wine jugs. Are these good for secondary carboys. I saw something similar in an ancient orange mead post. Is that what im looking at? Edited by: kaluba

anything glass is good as long as chemicals werent stored in these. I have quite a few of these wine jugs from the recycling center. If you can get a gallon jug and a 3 liter when available as this is great for racking off gallon batches and leaving the sediment, this way when you are at a loss of some wine you can rack to a smaller bottle or when you start making big batches of fruit wine you can start with over 6 gallons and rack to 6 gallon carboy and this jug and when it is all settled you can rack it to clean 6 gallon carboy and top up with small jug. And if you have any left in the jug you can decide and play with how much sweetening you want to do.

Edited by: wade

there screw type necks. So i just dont want to try and store in them. Unless im putting a screw top back on correct?

Its as this is what we all do. We typically use bungs with airlocks and check them every 2 weeks as the fluids in tha airlocks slowly evaporate.

IM meant to say glass carboy with a bung stopper. An air lock makes sense.

Back