1.092 to 1.000 in 4 days??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Junior
Reaction score
ok hello all, I've been lurking here for a few weeks, so much good info! now it seems I have my first concern/question about the fermentation going so fast...

I'm a noob, started making wine back in september with a few kits. A couple weeks ago I started my first one gallon from recipe (a cranberry), and last week I started a one gallon mixed berry concoction....

So the bumbleberry fruit and juice went in the primary on the 19th, the yeast was added on the 21st. I made a starter for the yeast and made sure the temp of the must was about 22/23 degrees(celcius). Copying what I did with the cranberry(it took almost a week in primary at a nice steady temp), I pointed a little heater at it a ways away to keep the temp up and put a towel over, fermentation started within a few hours. Gave it a stir and a mash later that day and the next, on the 23rd (3 days after yeast), I opened it up and it was HOT in there! I didn't have time to check the SG, as I was on my way out for the evening, but I turned the little heater off. So this morning I go to check it-the temp is down to about 18 degrees and there's almost no action, take a hydrometer reading and it says 1.000! from a starting 1.092 on the 21st (I made sure the hydrometer readings were accurate to temperature). So I got it strained and racked into a carboy, and there's a little action in the airlock.

It seems ok, but I'm concerned about the downsides of fermenting so fast (if any)...

-Will it affect the flavor, not having sat on the fruit for very long?
-What can I do to differently next time to slow it down? (no starter? lower temps?)
-Is there anything I can do now? Should I leave it the secondary longer after it's dry before stabilizing it?
-Or is it no biggy....

Thanks for your time ;)
Dana

Your be ok. I myself like to do slow cool fermentation's with my fruit wines. I try to keep them closer to 50 55 degrees. I feel a cooler slower ferm gives you a better flavor and requires less of a F-Pak.

ok thanks! I will add an f-pak for sure with this one and keep the temp down with the next. I'm trying to work the kinks on this little batch so I can make a 5 gallon batch!

The only downside I can think of is that a cooler fermentation allows more of the fruit flavors to develop especially with whites. I have had reds ferment very fast and they still came out great. I wouldn't worry

As said above faster ferments will tend to burn through more fruit flavor but blueberry and cranberry both naturally contain benzoate which is a known yeast inhibitor so fermenting these in more stricter conditions like warmer temps will give you less headaches. Glad to have you aboard!

ahh, good to know. thank you for the responses. I'm going to do a raspberry next, so I'll watch it a little closer to make sure it doesn't get so carried away...

Latest posts

Back