09 results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcheeks

Nicely Dunne
Reaction score
I've been opening some of my 09 wines. I'm feelin' a bit of pride and cockiness. All this brewing stuff really works! Here are the results so far:
Red Clover: very strong, :d more like rocket fuel. clear and thick. Not sure I like the taste.
Red Currant: Beautiful color and clarity, a bit medium but no special taste to it.
Strawberry: Deeeelicious but a bit too sweet. Clarity, color and aroma are nice.
Strawberry Lime: Yuk! :s Lime is just too overpowering. Who cares about the color!
Elderflower: Absolutely gorgeous bouquet, color, taste and alcohol content. A bit on the sweet side but will try to lessen it this year.
Elderberry: Gorgeous color and body but it has a bit of an after taste. Not sure if it is tannins or what. Perhaps it needs to age more.
Plum: Got moldy while in the demi.
Dry Cherry: Gorgeous color and clarity but not to nice to the taste.
Sweet Cherry: Same as above.
Please feel free to comment and teach me from your experience. Thanks!

Next time BEFORE you start ck in here for help/ideas

What recipes are you using or are you fermenting from the hip? There are many variations to wine makingbut some things are consistant and should be followed less you may have problems.

Tom is right there are many ideas here and many are willing to help you through your process. Stick with something simple, take good notes and follow the recipe and process carefully.

The drawback to wine making is you may not know how your wine is going to turn out truely tasting until 6 months to a year or more later. You will get a sense about it at various times though.

I like the OPs comment about strawberry wine. I have never tasted one that was not oversweet, but they all taste outstanding! Anybody ever made a dry strawberry wine? I'm going to try some strawberry this season and I may leave some dry to see how it tastes. At the minimum I will just lightly sweeten. Some strawberry wines from my regional wineries are practically syrup.

IMO to make a dry strawberry wine you will want to use about 10 lbs per gallon to have the flavor pop cause it really likes to hide.

thanks for the tip. I'll try a dry strawberry this year. And a sweet one as well. the sweet strawberry wines do go great with a slice of chocolate cake.

Tom, I did! In 07 my husband and I just got startedbrewing via the internet. Then we moved to GE. So in the year's break from brewing, I read both Jack Kellers website tidbits and then this forum. I actually printed and read the guide. So, I would appreciate it, in the future, if you would take a moment to find out a bit more information before you make a rude comment.

Hey DJ, I started using Jack Kellers recipes. I followed them to the tee. I also found a couple of recipes off this website. I learned from the first year to take detailed notes and document the progress as the brew goes along. I don't know enough yet to brew from the hip. LOL

The strawberry lime may be one of those wines that mellows and gets better with more aging.

Well Sweetcheeks,

In all fairness to Tom, I don’t believe he was rude to you. You stated “Please feel free to comment and teach me from your experience” I believe that is what Tom did. I have not been on this forum for that long but I have never seen him be rude to anyone. And by reading your comments about your own wine the impression I received was someone who really didn’t know what they were doing. If you had read Jack Keller’s site and this then how would you get a moldy wine? You yourself was very critical of your wines and I do not see anywhere that you stated that you did all your homework so how was anyone to know this?

No one is here to be rude, especially the mod’s but when you ask for an opinion, then please understand that is what you will get.

Sweetcheeks,

perhaps save the strawberry lime to blend with something else? Really quite interested in your clover wine.. are you going to cellar that for a year or two?.. It'll probably improve quite a bit.

I'm with you on the cherry flavours.. cherry has an earthy taste to it after the fermentation.. it's quite unpleasant.

so what are you making next?

Tom, I did! In 07 my husband and I just got startedbrewing via the internet. Then we moved to GE. So in the year's break from brewing, I read both Jack Kellers website tidbits and then this forum. I actually printed and read the guide. So, I would appreciate it, in the future, if you would take a moment to find out a bit more information before you make a rude comment.

storm in a teacup here people..

Toms answer was short and to the point.. that's his style. After rereading the posts a number of times.. I certainly don't think there was any intention to appear rude to you Sweetcheeks..

The written word can be easily misconstrued online and most especially when a word, or words, are written entirely in CAPS for emphasis. This is generally considered to be SHOUTING at a person, though I don't think it was meant that way here. You have been here a little while now and I'm sure you will agree. This forum is pretty much flame free and we all get along pretty well together.

In my opinion, I think this was just a miscommunication.

Allie

group :hug

OK sweetcheeks,
Like said above Yes I was short and to the point. Not to be rude. You stated you had some mishaps and my statement was so you would not make the same mistakes if you ck here 1st. Yes you did ask for comments. One thing I found therre are many recipes on the net. Not all are good. Alot or recipes say LOW #'s per gal and HIGH sugar. This gives a off balence wine. Now here WE can help refine your winemaking.
Nothing more nothing less. Myself and others here have made all the mistakes and then some. Our goal is to pass our knowledge to others.
Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Latest posts

Back