Egg smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendo

Reaction score
Getting a little egg smell from juice buckets!, 3rd day of fermenting, it's fermenting away nice,, when I stir it up the smell is faint not strong but still a sulphur smell is this normal with these juice pails?..

What should I add to it for nutrients ? I have go ferm, I have opti red will this help.. Thk u

Last edited:
I have fermaid k, how much should I add to each 6 gallon pail? And can I add opti red? Thk u

Just added A little over a tsp of fernaid k to each, and I packet of opti red to each, hope all go' s we'll with this. :)

Can I use fermaid k again for nutrients to my juice bucket I put 1 tsp in at 1.70..my ferment is at 1.30.. Can I give this ferment 1 more dose of fermaid k or not a good idea.?thk u

That egg smell is hydrogen sulfide. It appears when fermentation either is lacking nutrients or oxygen. My best recommendation would be to either add fermaid-k or stir or stir the must with to allow oxygen to be introduced this usually does the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

That egg smell is hydrogen sulfide. It appears when fermentation either is lacking nutrients or oxygen. My best recommendation would be to either add fermaid-k or stir or stir the must with to allow oxygen to be introduced this usually does the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

The egg smell can be due to any number of things. But basically your yeast are stressed in some way.

Fermaid is a good idea. You can run a quick trial by pulling two glasses off and treating one glass, cover both, let sit for 30 min, then compare the two. If the one with fermaid smells cleaner then add fermaid

Latest posts

Back