What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 big cuts in the package but these 2 are not only for me but also my other two kids.
I am also cooking mushrooms with pepper, onions...cooked with red wine and soy sauce.....it looks good but let's see what kind of results I get....LOL

Final product....this came up really good, my kids were complimenting me...LOL

Not well done, not over cooked and it was juice and tasty.

I poured a bit of my sauce experiment on top while the steak was on the safe zone....(mushrooms, onions, pepper with red wine and some soy sauce on a pan until it consumed most of the liquids).

18309a7daa20010df06428cdbf6edf34.jpg

2c805942fec35b2afefae445a59cdafc.jpg

Last edited:
I know the title of this thread is "What's for Dinner," but I wanted to show off what I had for breakfast. My DW cooked this, and I just thought it was so photogenic that I had to "document it." Just a simple breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs (with sauteed zucchini and cheese), topped with avocado slices. As the antediluvian commercial used to say, "I think I'll keep her!" :h

DSCN0603.jpg

Okay, now the dinner part. This one is my work! Nothing too exotic: this was supposed to be grilled shrimp, but a thunderstorm rolled in shortly before dinner. So it became broiled shrimp instead. I used a recipe from "The New Basics," featuring coriander, cumin, turmeric, lemon juice, and lots of butter. Braised lacinato kale (onions, garlic, chicken stock) and corn-off-the-cob with garlic, marjoram, and lemon juice.

Washed down with WE Eclipse Pinot Gris.

DSCN0604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone abandoned me this afternoon, so after dropping off 3 gallons of Lanza Zin to @jgmann67 , headed home to work on my dinner "project". Last week I got some really nice eggplant from Church, used two for eggplant parmesean, used the other today for a version of moussaka ( http://www.feastingathome.com/rustic-eggplant-moussaka/ ). Only change on the recipe was using a thinly sliced russet potato on the bottom layer since I didn't have the required amount of eggplant. House smells wonderful, tastes even better. Serving with a cheap beer since I have to go to a prayer meeting in a few minutes and didn't want to consume a higher alcohol beverage.

9-3-17_grilled-eggplant.JPG

9-3-17_eggplant-filling.JPG

9-3-17_eggplant-casserole-1.JPG

9-3-17_eggplant-casserole-2.JPG

9-3-17_eggplant-casserole-3.JPG

Last edited:
Dinner was thrown together tonight more or less. Some NY Strip Steaks I had the butcher slice into steaks from a Holiday Strip Roast. Baked Potatoes and Iceberg Wedge Salad with Blu cheese dressing, bacon crumbles on top. Threw on a small link of the fresh sausage I stuffed today. Awesome.

IMG_2541.jpg

Our dear friend's BF is in town for the weekend, so we decided to go all out. After a fun lunch and awesome brewery tour, we opted to shoot the works for dinner: surf and turf on the grill. We had Roma beans with tomatoes, and corn-off-the-cob with garlic and cumin. The stars were a big porterhouse (between the four of us) and a lobster apiece. I made two separate compound butters (for the steak: fresh thyme & garlic; for the lobster: fresh tarragon, lemon-macerated shallot and garlic, plus lemon juice) that really picked up the proteins. I dry-brined the steak before grilling, and cut those poor live lobsters in half from stem to stern before grilling. Penultimate picture shows the aftermath! Last picture shows the blueberry/strawberry/lemon dessert. Washed all of this down with a NZ Sauv. Blanc that the friend brought, plus my WE Eclipse Pinot Gris.

DSCN0605.jpg

DSCN0607.jpg

DSCN0611.jpg

DSCN0612.jpg

DSCN0615.jpg

DSCN0616.jpg

DSCN0619.jpg

DSCN0620.jpg

I harvested our sunshine squash and set them out to cure in the sun. I couldn't wait roast one up. It has a dryer texture that would be good for soups and casseroles. But I just moistened it with some veggie broth and lemon juice and topped it with a Thai sweet chili sauce. Yum.

b5fc7736d2e7904f5f0a90114404dc1a.jpg

b4f22aca0c3a4c279231b624a27f26cf.jpg

a4c849d75a8d1e9dd231a194388a5768.jpg

Oh, we had it with some fresh sweet corn.

871e76df2db68ed9a30b9beeb08c8714.jpg

Not sure if this will work but I'm coming up with a crazy seasoning sauce/rub for a couple chicken breast I plan on cooking on the grill.
Paprika, Adobo, vinegar, olive oil, parsley, pepper and apple juice.

I got to finish this right on the grill this time, so the plan is to cook on indirect heat for maybe close to an hour, then move to direct heat for a brief moment (maybe seconds) and pour some of the seasoning while doing all this to moist the chicken.

Am I on the right track? LOL [emoji23]

9518fc83c19b0c2f96cb2f24d553540b.jpg

Last edited:
Still depends on the temp of your grill. If its 350F and you leave it on for an hour your gonna have dry chicken indirect or not. You need to pull it when the meat reaches 160-165F. If you haven't already go pick up a digital meat thermometer from Walmart or Target or similar.

Your marinade sounds good though!

Not sure if this will work but I'm coming up with a crazy seasoning sauce/rub for a couple chicken breast I plan on cooking on the grill.

I got to finish this right on the grill this time, so the plan is to cook on indirect heat for maybe close to an hour, then move to direct heat for a brief moment (maybe seconds) and pour some of the seasoning while doing all this to moist the chicken.

Still depends on the temp of your grill. If its 350F and you leave it on for an hour your gonna have dry chicken indirect or not. You need to pull it when the meat reaches 160-165F. If you haven't already go pick up a digital meat thermometer from Walmart or Target or similar.

Your marinade sounds good though!

yep, got that covered. Hoping the sauce will be good.

If you want to cook it that long, I'd consider putting the chicken in a aluminum pan (I get them cheap at BJ's, the Lasagna size) with some holes in the bottom for the fat to drain off. It will help deflect the more intense heat and help the chicken cook more evenly. Put the pan where you would normally put the chicken if you were doing it indirectly (for me it's the middle of my Weber grill, have back and front burners on medium, center burner off).

Definitely agree with Mike, you need a quick read thermometer to help you target when to take the food off the grill and let it rest (in a foil tent for at least 10 minutes). Remember the internal temperature will rise a bit after taking it off, especially if it is a bone in cut (of either chicken/pork/beef/venison/buffalo/yak/antelope/bear/groundhog etc).

Saturday, I made my sriracha chicken again (this time with buttered noodles). The real funny thing is that I had to cook dinner after cooking 8 trays of food for crush.

Lobsters were still on sale so Sunday, the older bro invited the whole family (11 could make it) for a great feast.

I have eaten lobster many, many different ways and in many, many different places. I am not biased when I say that (when it comes to cooking a lobster) my brother is Mozart!

What he does is steam them for until the lobsters achieve the right color. The meat, while thoroughly cooked, comes out tender and almost flaky.

After the lobsters are cooked, my brother takes each lobster, splits the underside shell of the tail, then cracks the underside of each claw. He then sets the lobster to drain on a grate for a minute or two. Draining the lobster like that makes them a lot less messy to eat.

Here are a couple of pics. #1 - putting them in, #2 about 1/2 way cooked, #3 my lobster (done).

IMG_20170903_182824745[1].jpg

IMG_20170903_183305743[1].jpg

IMG_20170903_185024708[1].jpg

Last edited:
On Monday, I really wanted chicken parm, so I his the local grocer around 8am, got back and started the sauce. Cooked that for 5 hours until thick and rich!. Trisected each breast (they were huge) and pounded each cutlet out. Fried them in the usual way, then let them rest until just before supper time.

While waiting for suppertime, I had an old friend to a pop-in. We (of course) opened some of my latest-and-greatest merlot out on the deck.

AHHH, sitting outside and sipping with a good friend. It does not get better than that. I asked him to stay for diner and (of course) he was happy to oblige

I assembled the dish, slid it into the oven, then cooked some pasta to go along with it. I also made up a nice loaf of garlic bread. Darn yummy if you ask me!

Here is a pic. OK, that plate was rather loaded, but I had nothing to eat all day! Hey... Don't judge me! :)

IMG_20170904_174719976[1].jpg

Last edited:

9518fc83c19b0c2f96cb2f24d553540b.jpg

Sounds and looks good. One of my favorite things to cook on my Green Egg is a whole chicken. I buy a whole chicken (about $5) and wash, pat dry, brush with EVOO, coat with Weber's Beer Can Chicken Rub. Set temp at 325 and cook on a standing chicken rack til internal temp is 165 (about 1 hour) They always turn out moist and flavorful.

Latest posts

Back