What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knew it was going to be a pretty spectacular day today. Wifey is working this weekend so I'd be around the "ranch", picked up some loin back ribs at the local Giant after a men's breakfast I occasionally attend. Trying to do some of my oldest Son's favorite meals here in the last few weeks he's still at home with us (ships off to San Antonio in early October).

Prepared ribs, lightly rubbed with a Kansas City Sweet and Smoky Rub (Raichlen Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades, page 24). Everyone likes that one even the 10 year old, not too spicy or salty, a bit of a twang from smoked paprika and ho-made smoked salt. I make up a doctored hot bbq sauce for the braver few in the family to use to kick it up a notch.

Tomorrow burgers and dogs so I can listen to five football broadcasts at once and keep tabs on my brilliant fantasy football picks (yea, right...).

Smoker started hot at 275*F, hanging around 230*F, so I'll keep an eye on it. Trying to get rid of the Royal Oak charcoal I mistakenly bought. Hard to start, hard to keep going. Can't use the Minion method on it unless you like your food covered in red soot. Going back to Kingsford Competition briquets, very easy to start, very temperature friendly, very predictable, which is good when you are drinking and cooking at the same time.

9-9-17_ribs-1.JPG

Last edited:
Trying some potterhouse

949003559edba8bd2958e23db43d4e3d.jpg

A few breakfast pics shouldn't hurt anybody's appetite, Mrs. Duo makes one hella Southwest Bake (dairy eliminated). This one was made with chorizo but sausage or bacon is excellent too. The trick is to make it the nite before and place in fridge to let the egg soak in the tortilla strips. You can top with jalapenos or picante sauce.
TXWineDuo

P_20170910_062859.jpg

P_20170910_081546.jpg

P_20170910_083311.jpg

No picture but if you like a spicy salad dressing I have a recipe for you.

1 bottle of kraft Cole slaw dressing, 1 1/2 tablespoons of cilantro (dried is fine), 2 jalapenos, 2 halbaneros, about 2 oz of red onion. Chop all the peppers and onions finely, mix and chill. Keeps for as long as the expiration date on the Cole slaw dressing.

Was invited over to a friend's house to watch Sunday night's game. I was a beacon of light amongst a sea of Cowboys fans.

In short, it was a very rough night.

The only bright point of last night was the home-made buffalo wings I whipped up for them..

I start with a family pack of whole wings and butcher them up in the uaual way.

I then steam them for 20 minutes (I did this in two batches).

I then refrigerate them for several hours (right up to about 1 hour before leaving for the game)

An hour before leaving, I took them out and placed them on a grill that was placed on top of a sheet pan.

I then baked them at 450 for 25 minutes.
I them flipped them, and then baked for another 25 minutes.

I then whipped up some buffalo sauce (1.5 cups of tobacco sauce, a shot of garlic, salt, and pepper, then whisked in 1 stick of melted butter.

After baking, they were golden-brown with tissue-paper skin. I tossed them into the sauce, then packed them up and headed out.

They were awesome! See pics.

IMG_20170910_092113161[1].jpg

IMG_20170910_093814897_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20170910_191254352[1].jpg

Sadly, not too many grilling weekdays left in my year. My bride requested hamburgers, which, oddly, we don't make too often. The full menu was hamburgers, yellow beans, corn-off-the-cob, and shiitake mushrooms.

The beans were par-boiled, then finished on the grill, then seasoned with raw garlic for a bit of a kick. The corn was grilled, then cut off the cob and seasoned with butter, cumin, and garlic.

Talk about umami!! We had a boatload tonight. The shiitakes were sauteed in butter/olive oil and fresh thyme, then seasoned with a reduction of red wine and balsamic vinegar. This was exquisite. The same reduction was used to glaze the burgers. More umami was served up in those same burgers, as I used the best recipe ever for burgers. Fish sauce (and mayo) is added to the burger, which really ups the flavor and the unctuousness. Finally, the burger was served on a baguette that was toasted and smeared with truffle butter (bought on "Woo-hoo" sale) for a 'nother screaming dose of umami. MMmmm-mmm.

DSCN0643.jpg

Our store has a separate section for "fine" cheeses, and it was there. (We also have a cheese section for commodity cheeses, located, as you say, near the butter, but it was not in that spot.)

Yep, that is situated out front of our deli counter section. I will take a look there today!

Our store has a separate section for "fine" cheeses, and it was there. (We also have a cheese section for commodity cheeses, located, as you say, near the butter, but it was not in that spot.)

Sadly, not too many grilling weekdays left in my year.

Grilling is year 'round activity. Just find a protected place from the wind to place your grill. Some of my best grilling sessions are during nor'easters. An added plus is if you are drinking beer or white wine, it doesn't get warm very quickly in the cold weather.

My grill is protected from the East/Northeast/Northwest and eventually West winds we get during the storm. I'm SOL if I get strong winds from the South, which is rare in my area.

Grilling is year 'round activity. Just find a protected place from the wind to place your grill. Some of my best grilling sessions are during nor'easters. An added plus is if you are drinking beer or white wine, it doesn't get warm very quickly in the cold weather.

My grill is protected from the East/Northeast/Northwest and eventually West winds we get during the storm. I'm SOL if I get strong winds from the South, which is rare in my area.

My problem is daylight. Note that I said not many grilling weekdays -- I will still grill on weekends. But cooking in the dark is not my strong suit!

Back