Your best way of dissolving campden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
I always have a problem dissolving campden on my wine must. I would appreciate it if some of you would give some insight on how you all make you campden additions and getting them dissolved. Thanks, Lynn Edited by: TNFISHRMAN

I use Hippies technique and it works great. "In the blender"

Yep. A small amount of the must or wine in the blender, then in goes all the other additives you wish to add and blast it a few seconds on the fastest button. Gosh you are smart Waldo!

smiley36.gif

I got myself a pill crusher at the dollar store (Dollar Tree). Pulverizes them.
smiley36.gif

I use my Mom's baby asprin method......crush on one spoon with the back of another....works great. She used to crush our baby asprins that way then add a little water so we could swallow them.

Ramona

Crushing the campden and dissolving them is 2 different thangs. You will often see white specks in the wine and on the bottom of the carboy from undissolved sulphite and sorbate.

I was using a pill crusher and had noticed the white specks that is why I was wanting to know how to dissolve them. I had also used the spoon method it didn't do as good as the pill crusher. I will try the blender method next. Thanks for the replies everyone and if anyone else has suggestions keep them coming I am sure this will help some of us.

We have a mortar and pestal that we use for wine chemicals. Grind it right into powder. We like the tablets because it's one less thing we have to measure. We can count and drink wine at the same time, but measuring gets confusing some times!
smiley36.gif
We either stir it in a cup with some of the wine and pour it in or just drop it into the bottom of the carboy and let the wine action stir it in. For the first time today we had it not want to disperse so I had to actually stir it in.
smiley18.gif

I keep my 80 oz., plastic jugs that my honey came in when I made my mead. I add about 1/2 cup warm water, put in the camdn and whatever else I need and shake. It's desolved on a minute or so of shaking, and no big mess to cleanup.

jobe05 said:
I keep my 80 oz., plastic jugs that my honey came in when I made my mead.  I add about 1/2 cup warm water, put in the camdn and whatever else I need and shake.  It's desolved on a minute or so of shaking, and no big mess to cleanup.

Hello,
I see this older post about dissolving powders and campden tablets. I have been reading in various places in this forum that some of these powders should not be put into a warm solution.
I mix my sulfite solution for sanitizing in a glass gallon jug and have been using warm water...is this a No-No???
Which powders should NOT be placed in warm solutions or warm water???
Just curious.

Latest posts

Back