Yes it is still cold- Lake Champlain Freezes closed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been another cold winter here in upper New York State. We have had too many days to keep track of mentally with sub -15F and several now at or very near to -20F. The National Weather Service has reported that Lake Champlain has completely frozen over for the second year in a row- and that takes a lot for a lake hundreds of feet deep. If interested here is one news story. We are expecting one day near freezing on Sunday before returning to sub-zero. Where are you spring?????
http://digital.vpr.net/post/lake-champlain-freezes-over-second-year-row

Wow those are some cold temps!

Looking for Spring? It's vacationing on the West Coast lol

Ouch! Same on the big lakes, too. In terms of ice cover, most of the Great Lakes are almost to where they were at this time year ago, and Ontario is way ahead of this time last year. Last year, of course, was as bad as it had been since the '70s, with eventually 95% ice coverage. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Well, we had a warm winter up until February. Not much snow - had to shovel for the first an only time last week - a light fluffy dry 2.5 inches.

But now we are having pretty wild temperature swings:

10612679_10100670769230219_3254507214977597643_n.jpg

Still we haven't had extended periods below zero like we had last year.

This has been one of the warmest Winter's on record here in the Southwest. I have worn shorts on half a dozen days in FEBRUARY! The lowest temp so far this month has been 19 and it is usually much more closer to 0 this time of year. We have been getting a decent amount of moisture at least but we have had more RAIN in February than snow which is totally bizarre for the southern tip of the Rocky mountains. Supposed to be about 62 here today. Snow moving in on Sunday but temps should be above average still. Hang in there Rich!

Funny how the jet stream pulled the cold down from the arctic in the east while pulling the heat up from the tropics in the west. California, Oregon, and Washington are now worried about the lack of snow pack in the Sierras and the impact it will have come summer. While we in the north east are wondering if our show will ever melt.

It's my birthday and currently it is 61 degrees.

Yes, I am feeling very pleased and smug.

Of course, tomorrow the front moves in and will fall below freezing and not let up for a couple of days. Oh, and freezing rain.

but for right this second...I'm happy!

Back