Yeasty Taste in my Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analog_kidd

Reaction score
I've made a few kits and a couple of batches of Skeeter Pee that have all come out fine, but every time I make wine from frozen concentrate, it comes out with what my wife describes as "Yeasty" aftertaste. I can detect a hint of what she means, but it definitely has some kind of off flavor.

I've used Montrachet and EC-1118, and they both had the same result. It has occurred on a couple of Welches Grape, and a couple of Apple concentrate wines. What can I do to avoid this funky flavor?

How quickly are you trying these wines? Are you drinking them right away or aging them before drinking? Do you use a fining agent?

Besides what has been said about aging, try a switch to 71B-1122. It works great with fruit wines and it does not shed excessive lees.

Typically, it is 4-6 months minimum before my concentrate or fruit juice wines are ready to consume. I did an apple that took 9+ months to begin to taste good (I actually had thought I ruined it.) It gets raves now when I pull it out.

The apple that I just bottled, I started about 4 months ago. I'm pretty sure I racked it off the lees pretty soon. I don't think I used any fining agents, although that is something that I have added to my standard procedures now.

The apple that I just bottled, I started about 4 months ago. I'm pretty sure I racked it off the lees pretty soon. I don't think I used any fining agents, although that is something that I have added to my standard procedures now.

That's really quick from start to bottle. Try bulk aging off the lees 6+ months.

We had a batch of apple once that was very yeasty even after aging the normal 6-8 months. We let it sit a year and it was amazing...no yeast at all.

Back