yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesnow

Reaction score
Hopefully grapes are good this year, making red from grapes. Receipt, 70% Cabernet Sauvignon 30% Merlot or maybe Alicante, not sure yet. Any recommendations on which yeast to use?

I'm thinking of either RC212 Bourgorouge or Vitilevure MT

Last edited:
I like MT and BDX for cab. I think I would ferment them separately and then blend though, rather than doing it all in one batch.

Yes, found it very helpful.
What I found interesting is the different brand name companies making yeast. Its my thrid year making wine and had always used yeast from Lallemand RC 212 and was happy . Would like to try something else but I don't want to be unhappy because the yeast selection. Making 45 gallons so I'll be stuck with it for a long while.

Yes, found it very helpful.
What I found interesting is the different brand name companies making yeast. Its my thrid year making wine and had always used yeast from Lallemand RC 212 and was happy . Would like to try something else but I don't want to be unhappy because the yeast selection. Making 45 gallons so I'll be stuck with it for a long while.

Split the batch into several and use different yeast strains on each; maybe some different techniques, too. This way you can compare, then blend based on how they turn out.

robie said:
Split the batch into several and use different yeast strains.
That's a great idea, but it will be to much work. I have one big primary burgundy tub , I believe its 240 Liters. So I would have to do the whole processes over and over. I realize now , I should have bought two small one's or three; also lets say I want a little Rose and White wine there's no end. Once grapes get here, there only here for one month or so. Also another problem is (I shouldn't say problem) , I make for my Dad, and Father-in-law, there getting older and don't have the energy for this stuff anymore. There way making wine is the old way, no yeast, not as clean crazy as I am to get good results. If they show up and help me, (don't get me worry love them both) I'll end up with a purple inflated headache lasting days on end.

Sorry, but I have to laugh about your calamity, even though I know to you it is not at all funny. I have been there in other ways, believe me. Just don't say a word... Grapes? What grapes?

Stick to your guns, you will end up with a good product, especially if you have not made wine at the present location with native yeast; otherwise, you will have no idea which yeast will be present and gain control.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back