Yeast taste/smell in filtered wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not a good taster, so my husband is usually the guinea pig with my wines for the "subtler" tastings. (I usually take a gulp and say, "This is not bad!")

But one common theme has been said every single time he tastes it. He swears he can taste the yeast out of it. Even if I filter it, I age it, if I use finings in it, and if I rack like a million times.

Could it be the yeast? Could it be that my husbandis convinced of something that is not there? (hehehe, that might be fun)

Thanks for your help

It could be either, but I have heard lots of people say they can taste yeast in a young or too-young wine. I haven't figured that taste out yet, I just know it tastes green or young.

I see. I can tell it's young too, but never the yeast.

So, basically, I should just age them a lot longer?

Yes, in the coolest, darkest place in the house, for a year longer than you normally would. I saw those pics with all the wine, you have no excuse to be in a hurry.

Thanks. It's hard to go down there and not snatch a bottle for myself. I will wait, though. ;)

But you have all those other older bottles to drink while waiting for the younger ones to age.

True. Thanks for reminding me!
smiley2.gif

Oh, you are. It's just so hard to wait for them to be perfect.

I guess tonight is going to be a "design-a-label" night.
smiley36.gif

One more night without wine.

No, I might work on it today. It's such a rainy, gloomy day here. I'll post them here when I think they're ready.

No, no new ones on the website, because I haven't bottled any this year. I'm such a slacker.
smiley18.gif
smiley5.gif

Post ta be gloomy and rainy here tomorrow. I think my 5 year old will be helping me bottle wine.

smiley5.gif

Maybe.

Yes, Joe, I think March is our rainiest month, but we haven't had much yet. Huh-oh. There goes that jinx again.

I'll let ya know.

smiley22.gif

Yep, we are getting into tornado season here. I do not like the wind blowing more than 10-15 mph.

Me neither. I have many large, over 80 year old trees on my little yard, and when there's tornado warnings here, I always have to triple check to see my insurance really does cover everything!
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back