Yeast suggestion for apfelwein

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numa

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been very successful making apfelwein using Lalvin EC-1118. I was looking at Lalvin's datasheets for their different yeasts, and was wondering if anybody has tried using something like 71B-1122 or RC 212 for making apfelwein?

I am curious to see what differences going from a neutral yeast like 1118 to something that enhances production of esters a bit more like the other two, but don't want a carboy full of apple flavored paint thinner. I'll also mention that I am using 100% juice, and not pressed apples... although I imagine pressed apples would produce more esters.

Thanks!

definitely go with the lavin 1122, it will bring out more of the apple flavor.

hmmm.... i looked at the sheet too... i would go with the tried-and-true d47 or 1122. the 1122 is supposed to bring out the esters... which according to wikipedia... still means nothing to me.

I have used both 1118 and 1122. Very little difference in the final product. I think the 1122 is slightly more apply, but very hard to tell.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to experiment around and see which one brings out more aroma and flavor. The EC-1118 has been a winner for me but it's really the only yeast I've used, and I'm at the point where I want to spread my wings a little.

The last batch I made I did so using pressed honey crisp cider, an extra 1 lb of dextrose and champagne yeast. What a knock our socks off ABV that was very crisp and sweet taste initially with an amazing finish too.

Last edited:
I've made three batches with the Ed Wort recommended Montrachet yeast. All three batches came out crisp and dry. Bk sweetening to 1.006 really brought out the apple. I bottled one today plain. I have two resting in bulk storage. One with golden raisins the other with ginger and fresh lemon juice. Both seem to be heading in the right direction.

BC

Latest posts

Back