WineXpert Yeast Substitution in WE Mosaic Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David219

Reaction score
I started the WE LE Mosaic Red on 2/19/16. It is a non-skins 18L kit. The starting SG was 1.094.

I thought I might want to substitute out the yeast, just for experimentation more than anything else. It came with a packet of EC-1118 and RC212. I chose RP15 based on the varietals in the blend and what I read on Scottlabs yeast charts. I haven't seen much discussed about this yeast on these forums, though.

I rehydrated it with GoFerm Protect Evolution and added 3gm of Fermaid K at the start of noticeable fermentation, as some referenced slightly increased nutrient demands for this yeast.

I racked out of primary yesterday at SG 1.004, temp 70 degrees. The fermentation activity today is still pretty impressive, as evidenced by airlock activity and visible foaming.ImageUploadedByWine Making1456412349.624316.jpg

I won't be able to compare to how things might have gone with the supplied yeast, but at least the fermentation with the RP15 seems to be proceeding very well to this point...even more "aggressively" than I would usually see in secondary at this temp and SG. Hopefully, it will continue and turn out to be a nice wine.

I've used RP15 a couple of times (on an Argentine Malbec, and a Aussie Petit Verdot). Like you, I am not in a position to compare, but I was pleased with how it performed and how the wine tasted.

Too bad it's so hard to tell how one yeast would compare to the other 2 years from now when they're finished aging. I started my Mosaic almost 3 weeks ago. I used the supplied yeast packages, kept the primary at 75 degrees. My starting SG was about 1.095 as I recall. At day 5 it was .994 when I racked to secondary. I checked yesterday and my finished SG is .992. I'll clear it on Saturday.
Since you have yours at 70 degrees no way to tell if my fast fermentation (which is common on all my wine) is due to the yeast or the temperature I keep. I think next time I will drop the temp down to 72 and try to draw out the fermentation process a few more days.
Best of luck to you.

I kicked this one off a few weeks ago too. Debated for a while, but in the end decided to forgo the EC - 1118 and the RC - 212 and pitch BM 4x4. What difference it will make in the long run, I'll never know, but it went dry without a hitch and is due for degassing and chems this weekend.

Update: after 15 days in secondary, my RP 15 ferment completed at 0.996. I was hoping for a couple points lower 0.992-0.994, but I it's done. Degassed, added KMeta, and Chitosan. Skipped the sorbate. The lees don't seem to be as compact as with other yeasts I've tried. I'll update a photo after its had more time for gravity to do its thing.

Started mine on 2/10/16, finished up 2/28/16 at .996 with BM 4x4. Racked and degassed, added KMS but not sorbate or fining agents, going natural. Scheduled for next rack 5/12/16 unless the lees tell me to do an intermediate racking.

I've used RP15 a couple of times (on an Argentine Malbec, and a Aussie Petit Verdot). Like you, I am not in a position to compare, but I was pleased with how it performed and how the wine tasted.

Same here. Different wines though. Both were Syrah. One was the CC Showcase Yakima Syrah (discontinued) and the other was the Lanza Vineyard Syrah I did last fall from fresh grapes.

PS: You guys who are all doing this kit with different yeasts should swap and compare this time next year.

Last edited:
FWIW I did mine with the kit yeast and after starting at 1.095 it fermented down to .992, right at 14%. It's a week into aging now. I took a sip and it's a nice wine, a little weak at the moment and nothing special. Definitely different than the boldness of a kit with a skin pack. I have faith that in a year or two it will come together. My real hopes are on the LE Fourtitude due next month.

Back